1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Frag Dolls announce disbandment

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 1 Jun 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I didn't even know these girls were a thing until today.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Same :/

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No? They were pretty popular, being hot girls in a geeky environment! Genuinely good at the games they played too.

5. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

More like Ubisoft want to cut the funding to save some pennies...

6. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

50% of people who wear clothes are female... Maybe if we include all the crappy dresses and skirts, but I wouldn't count them as real clothes.

Now do you realise what a misogynist jackass you sound like?

7. rollo

rollo Modder

If a game is classed as a source of entertainment then all games no matter platform are considered games surely. Mobile is the biggest market for most devs. Even Nintendo have realised this with 7-8 dedicated full mobile titles going to be released in the next 2 years.

League and Dota have a lot of the PC player base.

8. Parge

Not at all. He just hasn’t clarified himself well.

The problem with this statistic is that it was probably created by someone who couldn’t separate, or couldn’t be bothered to separate, ‘casual games’ with ‘proper games’ – and there is a difference, just as there is a difference between a Vauxhall Astra and a Caterham Super 7.

Many people, including myself have been playing ‘proper’ games for, 20 years or more. We’ve all been doing it online for maybe 15 of those? In that whole time, depending on what you play, you’ll come across maybe one or two girls per year (more if you play RPGs for example, less if you play COD). Let’s look at pro gaming – there are probably 1000 male teams for every 1 female. This entire story wouldn’t have even been written if some male pro team had broken up, its only of interest because the Frag Dolls are a long running female team. Developers too – any girls there? Not many. I know one from Cities Skylines (Colossal Order) and one from Elite Dangerous (Frontier). I’m sure there are many more behind the scenes, but almost all of the big names out there are guys. Press? Zoe Chase, a few others. Has Bit Tech ever had a regular female staff writer. The girl that does the sound card reviews comes to mind, and Tracy from CPC, but other than that – dominated by men.

Then we have casual games. These have a low bar of access (ie: you just need to own a smartphone, or web browser), cheap, low immersion, and generally relatively shallow compared to the above (obviously these are sweeping statements). This is where the majority of the female ‘gamers’ come from.

The question on the survey probably went ‘do you play games?’ – and the people playing ‘proper’ games thought “yep, this is a question aimed at me, I’ve got over 350 hours of Battlefield 4 under my belt – damn right I do” and the people playing ‘casual’ games probably thought “yep, I love Cave Runner’ and both ticked the box. Then, when the results came back and showed that 50% (or whatever) of gamers are female – all the ‘proper’ gamers called BS – because that stat flew in the face of everything they’d experienced, and the answer they were expecting from that question.

I’d say that if you asked that question to people that play games on Playstation, Xbox and Steam – that number would be something more like 10% at the absolute most.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

So we just skip origin to not include the sims results? Which is played by a huge female player base that's balanced. Or is that classed as casual gaming.

Don't really have a name for it but those that only play AAA titles are missing out on some of the best games of the years gone by.

They never said what type of game people play they just stated the %. In the 2 games I've played online a lot in the last 2 years league and wow there is more female players than there was in the past. We have 2 in our 5s ranked team at diamond level ( 2nd highest rated tier for those that don't play league). And there's 5 active in our wow guild.

Used to be 0 for both around 3-4 years back.

Personally think 10% is a massive underestimate.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This is where people start getting sniffy about what constitutes a "real" game.

It's all bollox, of course, we're talking about games ffs.

11. Parge

Well its that kind of simplification that is leading to this entire debate.

12. David

It isn't a simplification - far from it. The simplification is the assertion that games that girls play aren't real games, or somehow don't qualify them as gamers.

As snooty as I get about The Sims, it is a game and one that attracts a higher number of females than many other games. Then again so does Farmville, Candy Crush and Peggle.

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Hmm, "frag dolls".

Anyone else imagining pink mouse mats, rainbow case mods with glitter everywhere?

Not the image modern feminists like to promote so I'm not surprised it's been scrapped. It reminds me a bit of Labour's pink bus (for da wimminz) faux pas during the recent election campaign.

14. David

I remember thinking it quite a clever name at the time.

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The "real" or "proper" games distinction is such a load of bunk.
    Farmville or whatever some people would rather dismiss from statistics is just as "real" as spending 12 hours shooting someone across the internet.

16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, don't get me wrong - I don't dislike the name, I just don't fully understand feminism in all its guises.

First they said stuff was too masculine. We made it pink. Then they said we were being patronising - not every girl likes pink. So we went to the pub and drank beer.

17. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

marketing bull crap.

google any pro gaming team and have more images of them in actual events or practicing.. google Frag Dolls and all u get are photo shoots and almost no events pics or anything.