1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Best method for cutting a panel off my case?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by atc95, 16 Oct 2015.

1. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have finalised planning for my build and the best method to put the fan cutouts in the top panel of a jonsbo RM1 seems to be by making the top panel into a separate panel. To do this I would have to cut a dead straight line of 300mm length to remove the top panel from the U-shape of aluminium that surrounds the top left and bottom of this case, then reinforce the left panel by securing it to the frame of the case near the cut.

What is the best way to cut this bearing in mind the issue with just laser cutting fan holes in straight away is that the 300(l) x 210(d) x 340(h) mm size of the case seems to be too big to laser cut.

Case linked as I appreciate I haven't explained it all that well:
    http://jonsbo.com/en/products_29_2.html

Technical details are that the case is made of 1.5-1.8mm of black aluminium, it should also be noted I am interested in doing a laser engraving on the side panel as that is just a flat sheet of aluminium.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2015
  2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

That is one nice looking case :)

So, first question: Do you have access to a mill or are we to assume this is hand-tools only?

When you say it is "too big to laser cut", I think you just haven't found the right size laser cutter yet ;)

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm not sure the way you're thinking of cutting the top out of the U-shape will work - the corners of the bent metal won't be completely square, they'll be slightly rounded, so I think you'll have difficulty getting something to match up with the corners in a seamless fashion...unless you're thinking of cutting the top off below the rounded corners?

4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

If you mean cutting the top off below the curved side's just above the case level so you would be left with a flat top with a curved lip either side? like the picture below you would need a CNC/laser that had enough height and bed size to be able to lay the case on it's side and cut with a fine cutter.

I've just been measuring my CNC and it would just do it ( Not touting for the job though lol ) I was just looking if it was possible that way.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Oct 2015
  5. atc95

Looks better than the image in my head but this is almost exactly what I want to do. The top would then be secured to the main frame with 2 rivets at the front and 2 screws at the back, I would have to drill 2 holes through the remaining left side in a similar style to the side panel so that it is secure.

So do you think a CNC would be better than a laser cutter ;), I always associated laser cutting with modding and cnc with creating tbh!

6. Teelzebub

Either would do it's just cutting after all, I can programme my CNC to cut a intricate design or a straight line as can a laser cutter tbh I associate laser being better for harder materials like stainless steel I've done stainless on my CNC but the bits had to be exceptionally sharp and cut slow due to the heat the chips I had stuck in my hands was a real pain lol

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Wouldn't cutting with a CNC way leave a gap the same width as the bit?

8. Teelzebub

Of course it would the smaller the bit the finer the cut, laser will also cut some out there's no way to cut without loosing some material.
    Unless it's magic

You can get end mills less than a 1/4 of a mm

Tbh he could cut it with a fine fretsaw or a dremmel but it's far less likely he will get a exact clean cut that way which is why I assume he was asking about laser/CNC cutting

Last edited: 17 Oct 2015
  9. atc95

Yes I have a dremel but due to the fact it is an exterior cut directly across I want it to be millimetre accurate and a smooth cut, something that my dremel skills don't allow!

As said above I have a dremel and that's about it except hand tools. I think the case is about as small as m-atx or even atx with watercooling can get until the nova is released!

10. atc95

double post

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Yeah, I got that bit. I didn't realise you could get end mill bits that small, in which case CNC away! (any excuse to use CNC is a good excuse in my book ;) )
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
    Doesn't that include CNC? :D :lol:

12. Teelzebub

I was just looking at the place I get my cutters, the smallest they do is 0.2mm :jawdrop:

Yeah sometimes I believe it is :thumb:

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm just looking at my pencil, which takes 0.5mm leads - so the smallest cutter is half that size?! :jawdrop: indeed!

Given that I snap the 0.5mm lead on every other word, I'm guessing you'd have to use a very slow feed rate to stop the cutter from snapping?

Just out of interest, where do you get your cutters from? I think it's high time I got my CNC back in action (it's not a monster like yours - how do you put up with the whole street's lights dimming when you turn yours on? :D )

14. Teelzebub

Break very easy that small that's why I buy carbide bits and yes very slow

http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/

That's nothing the kilns are the real electricity gobblers they can be on for 12 hour programmes

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Just getting back to the OP - do you know someone with a jigsaw? Put it in between two clamped pieces of wood to stop it wandering and you should get a decent cut if you use a proper metal blade. I can't think of any other way of doing it without sending off to a friendly laser cutter or CNC shop.

16. atc95

While that is an option, I would want to keep the fan cuts in keeping with the rest of the case (about 0.8cm thick horizontal slots rather than just large fan holes.

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Sorry, I was thinking about cutting the top off the case ready to send to laser cutting/CNC to cut the fan holes - I wasn't suggesting the you cut the fan slots with a jigsaw :eeek:

18. atc95

Ahh ok! I have only ever used a jigsaw for fan cutouts before but it required a lot of work!

19. Teelzebub

Personally I wouldn't use a jigsaw you'll get a rough edge