1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning PSU output modding - Help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ChrisHowell, 8 Nov 2015.

1. ChrisHowell

ChrisHowell What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone!

Has anyone ever modded a PSU to be external to the PC and changed the power channels output so that it outputs all of the power down a single cable?

I basically need something like this PicoPSU with the power splitter, but with a much bigger wattage. From what I understand, the power 'brick' is just a AC to DC converter and the splitter that sits inside the case then splits it up into all of the various voltage channels.

I'm looking at modding a SFX 450W power supply to do this, but I'm not sure whether it's even possible.

Cheers!

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

It is poosible to move the PSU out side the case and bring the individual channels and control signals in one cable. As there are eight required channels (+12 VDC, +5VDC, +3.3VDC, -12VDC, COM) and signals (PWR ON, PWR OK, 5VSB) and one optional (-5 VDC), your cable will need at least 8 conductors, but I recommend you use more.

Looking at the SFX 450 specifications, the main channels have the following max currents:+12 VDC 36A, +5 VDC 22A, and +3.3 VDC 21A. These currents are too large to be carried by a single typical power supply wire (#18 AWG (1mm²)). I am not up on European conductor ampacity ratings but in North America, these will require #12 or #10 AWG (4 or 6 mm²) depending on a couple factors. Typical household wiring is only #14 AWG (2.5 mm²). Another consideration is if you use only one COM wire then it needs to handle the current from all channels and signals, a total of 82A, thus you'll requirer an even larger conductor. In short using one conductor per channel will require relatively big conductors.

The PWR OK, PWR ON, 5VSB, -12VDC can be wired with the typical power supply wiring of # 18 AWG (1 mm²) as their individual loads are less than 5A.

That said if you really wish to move the power supply out of the case, then I'd recommend pairings a common for each channel and signal. If I was to under take this task I would be considering approximately 16 conductors.