1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster I/O Shield Question (Involving #50/300 VAlve Steam Machine and a 980Ti)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by d_stilgar, 11 Dec 2015.

1. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

So, I have this problem.

I recently acquired a Valve built Steam Machine, one of the beta-test machines they sent out to people to test SteamOS.

It came with a GTX 780, but I'm upgrading to a 980Ti.

Here's the issue. The case is pretty great, but they decided to make a custom I/O shield for the 780 that's completely flat.

I can't modify the case to accept an unmodified I/O shield. More than that, I don't really want to. I bought the thing because it's really cool (and the price was right). I don't want to mess it up by pulling out my drill and Dremel.

One option would be to modify the existing I/O shield that came with the case. The biggest drawback to this is that it involves removing material from it. Eventually as I upgrade over time there will be too many holes. It'll stop working and just look bad.

But there's an advantage because the I/O shield has a tapped screw hole. If I go with something else I either have to use a nut or find some other solution.

The other option is to modify the I/O shield of the 980Ti. I would have to trim a bit off the tabs that usually slot into the case, and I would have to unbend that 90 degree bit of metal on the end. The main advantage is that all the screws that mount it to the card would stay in place. The disadvantages are the fact that I'd need a little nut to mount it to the case (which I know I'll drop 100 times), and when I go to sell the 980Ti the I/O shield will be all screwed up for the next person, which will drive the price down (boo).

What would you guys do?

980Ti shield on bottom, Steam Machine in middle, 780 on top:
    [​IMG]

Front of 980Ti vs Steam Machine:
    [​IMG]

Backside of 980Ti vs Steam machine:
    [​IMG]

Here's the threaded bit on the Steam machine shield, all out of focus . . .
    [​IMG]

Shield-less 980Ti dry fit in Steam Machine. It's not really secure like this. It needs that little screw to hold it in place.
    [​IMG]

Some photos for your pleasure, taken in the dark so there's all this cruddy noise. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Who is the 980ti made by?

Could you contact the manufacturer of the GPU and ask to buy a replacement IO shield?

Then when you eventually sell the 980ti no issues......

3. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Make a new one out of perspex? chop an old computer case side panel up to the right dimensions?

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

This sort of thing would work brilliantly. Dremel + sheet steel + filed edges + self tapper (perhaps) = win