1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors In car CCTV/Dash cams

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 7 Nov 2016.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I drive around 700 miles a week for work, my car isn't exactly a cheap run about anymore and since owning I've already had two lots of damage unaccounted for. It's parked on a street during the night and weekends and in secure parking during working hours.

The chances of a dash cam catching these sorts of activity are slim but I feel it might be worth the investment.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

This looks like something you allude to, but you need to buy the seperate batter pack and hardwire the lot in. It's probably an afternoon's work with a multimeter. You also need to look out for units that specifically have some sort of a parked or parking mode, otherwise most, just turn off when the ignition goes off. Or they flatten the car's battery.

TechMoan is a really good channel on YouTube to check out for reviews on dashcams. (The two Vids above are from there.)

I personally have a A118C variant hardwired into my car. I've had it for about 3 months now and have noticed that performance can be very firmware dependant; mine out of the box was very flakey and crashed often. Firmware update later, and it is significantly more stable. I cna't really comment on how well it performs as i've not actually needed it so far, and fingers crossed, I don't hope to have to use it any time soon.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

+1 for spending some time watching TechMoan videos, parking's not a problem for me, so I opted for the Koolung K1S - again, firmware out the box wasn't the best, but a quick flash and a tweak of some of the settings and I couldn't be happier. There's some great advice on there in a really easy to absorb format.

4. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Did the same as instagib with an A118C, flashed the firmware tweaked the knock sensor an its been solid. I think once id had a brainfart an looped its star tcycle but just unplugged an plugged back in bar that its worked. Image quality is good I run it in 1080p picks up number plates an signs clear enough. Night quality is alright as well.

Its a nice cam tucks up out the way where my rear view mirror is an has a button to lock if you see something fun on the road so. I think you can get a GPS module too.