1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Mattress wars: memory foam vs pocket spring

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 20 Jan 2017.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I did not realise that there was so much involved in buying a matress. As I am getting on in years comfort is essential in my bed, somewhere where I can spend a fair bit of time and have decided on a new mattress. But pocket springs or memory foam? It is a single in size and I would say my budget is around £200 but I have been stunned by the prices of some mattresses as I popped into my local John Lewis.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

We're into our 9th year on a memory foam mattress and would never go back to springs. The only downside of memory foam is that it's inclined to be pricey, but shop around and I'm sure you'll find something. Quick google search gets me this, so I don't think you'll struggle to stay inside your budget.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have been researching for a couple of days and have a shortlist of 4 now 5 as I had not come upon your link, thanks (I think),lol.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Having tried memory foam and hating it, I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Hypnos pocket sprung mattress and tbh I'd never buy anything else now. I managed to justify the price based on the fact that I spend more time 'using' it than I do my computer chair/monitor/keyboard and all those things I buy the best I can. It may just be a placebo effect but I seem to sleep better than previously and have less backache.

Tbh the best thing you could do would be to try some out in one of the bigger bed retailers or have a look at Ikea, iirc they have a return policy that allows you to exchange it if you don't like it within 90 days

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You want a Hypnia. 10" with 3" memory. I think you will like the price and myself and my entire family now all have them and would never return to springs. Ever.

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

You got a link?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can't put a price on a comfortable bed mattress. I'd say it's one of the most important things you'll ever buy and deserves taking all the time it needs. Preferences are also highly personal and depend on body weight, shape and size too.

Trying out yourself is best, but of course it is hard to emulate real conditions unless the shop allows you to try a mattress overnight (this is unlikely).

Personally I find the top of the line IKEA mattresses surprisingly good for the money. We have a HESSENG firm mattress covered by a TROMSDALEN mattress pad and on top of that a ROSENDUN quilted mattress protector. The firmness of the mattress gives back support while the pad and protector give a nice sink-into-a-cloud comfort.

8. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Being a couple, we had our mattress with springs
    Digging into our backs, was it meant to be
    Then we tried memory foam, what a pleasant surprise
    We never went back to them horrible springs

j/k funds wise our budget allowed us 2 memory foam pillows.

9. Vault-Tec

On phone so not ATM. Just Google Hypnia dude :)

10. alf-

alf- Minimodder

I bought a Hyde&sleep memory foam mattress last summer.

I was originally looking at the likes of simba, casper, eve and the like. Discovered hyde&sleep more by chance really, there wasn't a whole lot of information about them at the time, but it was a good bit cheaper. Turns out its actually a sub brand of dreams (so I imagine you may be able to test one in a store),

Does quite well in reviews, and I personally can't fault the mattress.
    http://sleepopolis.co.uk/mattress-reviews/

It is currently 345, which is significantly more than you wanted, but I paid 245 for mine.
    they go on offer quite often, currently they have an offer were they are including free pillows, it seems to alternate between that and just money off.

11. Vault-Tec

http://www.hypnia.com

10" king size £259. 10 yr warranty, we've had ours for 6 and structurally it's like new. I had a single before, still going strong in mum's guestroom.

12. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I put pocket spring mattresses that have a memory foam top layer on my daughters bunk beds and occasionally I sleep on the bottom bunk(kicked out for snoring) and they are amazingly comfortable.

Hybrid for my vote.

13. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Just to be pedantic, pocket springs and memory foam are not mutually exclusive. Generally you have the body of the mattress, be it springs of one form or another, or foam. The top few inches (variable amount) have your memory foam or latex.

Over the last few years I've bought two mattress from IKEA for my use, I've been happy with both, the memory foam holds body heat more and feels warmer.
    If you can I'd suggest going to an IKEA to try them out, I've found them to be good value and they even come in UK sizes now.

14. MeMo

MeMo It is what it is

I Love my bed!!!!! It is a sleep number so comfy!! :rolleyes:

15. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've never gotten on with memory foam but I've never owned one.

The best bed I've ever had was a full motionless waterbed, sleeping on 500 litres of warm water is tremendous. Absolutely awful if there's someone in there with you, though, but you can get them built in two halves to mitigate that.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Rather more than I have to spend.

I note that the mattresses are 10 inches deep which would mean having to buy new fitted sheets so adding to the cost.

Still looking at a hybrid.

Could not see anything in Ikea that I fancied.

What?

Think I may go with the Silentnight 3 Zone Memory as suggested by LennyRhys and endorsed by Which but have another 5 days to research but the Hypnia by Vault-Tec is also in the running after a good look at it.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited: 21 Jan 2017
  17. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Why not try one of the 60/100 night trial options from one of the new firms like simba or eve. I think Tumpur do a trial as well, or even some of the high street retailers. I think you pay up front so you would need to research how easy it is to get your money back if you don't like it, but considering the amount of time you will spend on it, it's worth looking into....

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thought about that but that mwans storing a mattress that is well past it's sell by date in a small flat, not ideal. As I have slept on crap for some years anything will be an improvement surely?

19. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm two years into a decent quality (well, certainly not cheap) mattress that is about 1/3 memory foam and frankly, I cant wait to be rid.

It's very comfortable to lie on when you first get it, but I didn't realise quite how much memory the foam actually... As a tall, heavy side-sleeper, one night on the bed creates a rut that essentially permanently remains. We rotate to provide some relief, but in general, I spend my nights sleeping in a fixed groove.

I know that part of it is size/weight (but my smaller, lighter wife creates her own rut), and part of it might be quality (price != quality, necessarily), but I think the biggest issue is that it is less suitable for side-sleepers.

My daughter has our old orthopaedic matteress with a 2" topper, mainly to disguise the lumps(!), but it is far better than my new mattress.

So the plan in to buy another firm mattress but add in a 1" topper - just to provide the little bit of cushion I've realised I prefer.

YMMV.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My concern with memory foam was always that it stores heat, may not breathe as well and may, as cjmUK says, hold on to its shape too much. Although I have a memory foam pillow, and that seems OK.

The IKEA firm mattress with soft topper combination works for me. Also get the biggest size you can possibly squeeze in your bedroom. UK sizes are tiny. I mean, 137cm x 190cm for a double --what is that all about?