1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning M-ITX case designing

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sk8ter646, 21 Jan 2017.

1. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Hi Guys

So this is going to be my planning thread for a new project im working on.

a little background about the project...

I work out at sea in the merchant navy working 4 weeks away and 4 weeks at home. For the last 8 years ive been taking expensive laptops with me that have never really cut the mustard tbh.

So the new plan is! create a nice small PC thats as slender as reasonably possible with space for "normal" components.

Ive been playing around in Sketchup a little bit and so far this is what i have briefly come up with.

[​IMG]

I have used an ITX motherboard and GFX card, the PSU will be a Seasonic 350w Modular TFX psu if i can get hold of one.

At present i have put 2 2.5" HDDs under the GFX card but not sure on the thermal implications of this....

This current box comes in at around 6L in volume putting it firmly under the size of the Xbox One.

I am planing to use Perspex for the whole case and if anyone has and ideas please do let me know.

I know there are a few off the shelf cases around but ive found that they are either 8L+ in volume
    with space for BIG GFX cards or uber small (the 4L NFC S4 Mini) but using external PSUs which i really want to avoid aswell.

Thanks
    Tom

2. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That's looking good, there's a lot of case making info and ideas over on smallformfactor.net.
    Some of those have also featured on [H]ardforum
    I see you've been looking at Diesel Engine, which has been a one off to small production success.
    GLW build.
    I really don't like laptops any more, and a small PC is great, as you can tinker with it and upgrade without proprietary parts being required.

3. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Thanks

I did indeed like the Diesel Engine, however wasn't a huge fan of the FlexAtx PSU and I'd like to try and avoid the costly cutting and bending of steel.

I'm planning more of a Pravin type case.

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

I'm all for crafting something by hand, but given your proposed layout I think it's worth looking at the Fractal Node 202 and Silverstone Raven RVZ02.

5. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

I would look at both of the above, however they are both double the size of what I'm looking to make

Plus with that attitude everyone who has ever scratch build a case may aswell just buy one....

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, I would either chamfer all the corners, or just one. Just the one, and put your "front" IO and power/reset buttons there.

Also don't forget to take into account the connectors and bend radius for cables coming out of the PSU, it looks a little tight there.

Alternate PSU? Down 50W and not modular...

7. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Good idea about the one corner will have a look.

I have left a reasonable amount of space for the cables along the front of the case so hopeing to not have any issues.

The main reason for using the modular TFX PSU was so that I can easily knock up a custom wiring harness for the case without having to crack open the PSU.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HOLES AND AIRFLOW. You will need vents everywhere. That'll be a 250W heater. I have an In-Win Chopin with only a 4770 inside, it's full of vents and on sustained full load the whole thing is too hot to touch.

Also look at things like the Silverstone Raven or Fractal Design mini-ITX cases. Not as small but they are guaranteed to work and you won't need a small GPU.

9. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

So i have been playing with Sketchup a little bit more and produced this...

[​IMG]

As you can see plenty of ventilation :D

10. Arboreal

You've been busy, fella.
    That's looking good, and much more likely to stay cool.
    Great work, nice to see a TFU PSU in use BTW.
    I see that Silverstone have a new TFX on the way - more choice for small boxes :thumb:

11. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Yeah still a WIP, got to actually do the measuring to make it a proper case now!!

Do you have a link to the Silverstone TFX PSU I can't find anything??

Thanks
    Tom

12. Arboreal

I had to think for a moment...
    It's here on smallformfactor.net
    Be Quiet also list a 300W TFX
    BQ don't get talked about much compared to Silverstone - my Parvum ITX i3/GTX660 has been running very happily on a BQ 300 SFX for a couple of years BTW

13. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

Ah yeah ive seen the none modular TFX psus, going to try and get a seasonic mondular one as this will make the custom wiring harness alot easier to make.

14. asura

asura jack of all trades

I'm wandering about your hole/strut ratio and the thickness/thinness of the struts - I recon those need beefing up a bit or you risk snapage...