1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 8GB 2133MHz+ DDR3 Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 27 Mar 2014.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm 99% happy with my rig as it stands (see sig) but would like to give some faster memory a try. I currently have 16gb 1600Mhz Corsair LP Vengeance (CML16GX3M2A1600C10) which I believe has timings of 10-10-10-27.

I'd like to give some 2133Mhz or higher RAM a try with timings at least as good as my current RAM if not better (9-10-9 or 9-10-10 would be nice). I'd only be after 8GB as I think 16GB is overkill for my needs. I might be doing some video encoding in the future (I fancy ripping my DVD / bluray collection) however - would 8GB limit that?

I've only ever used Corsair so what make/s would you recommend?

Thanks in advance

George

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I have both Corsair LP Vengeance 1866MHz and Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1866MHz RAM and both have been fine. I don't play with the timings or clock them, I just use them at the XMP settings for those speeds.

Your RAM amount shouldn't be any issue with ripping DVD's, I think it would be only if you were creating videos in an editing suite. I have never seen any significant increase in RAM usage when ripping my entire DVD collection. It will be your CPU that will determine the ripping performance - moar corez = better - I am not sure the speed or timings of the RAM will make any noticeable difference.

GeorgeK likes this.
  3. GeorgeK

Having been reading around I've seen quite a few articles / posts suggesting that higher speed RAM for gaming doesn't necessarily help with maximum frame rates that much but does definitely increase the minimum frame rates making for a smoother overall experience.

Glad to hear though that 16GB isn't necessarily more beneficial for ripping / encoding, thanks.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

You going to use MakeMKV and Handbrake?

5. GeorgeK

Certainly am

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Same as I use, you won't need more than 8GB RAM for that, cores is where it is at.

Don't forget to figure out BEFORE you start ripping and converting which DVD's you need to detect foreign language subtitles for, it is a pain finding out when watching the movie and having to re-rip and convert again...

If you rip the entire DVD with MakeMKV then only convert specific tracks with Handbrake, it is easy to go back and re-convert from the original MKV file later. It also has the bonus of keeping an actual backup of the entire DVD if you ever lose or damage the original disc.

:D

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You won't see much of an improvement in all honesty. I wouldn't bother changing for the sake of having faster RAM.

8. GeorgeK

But I've got an itchy upgrade bug that needs a scratch...

Any more suggestions on good manufacturers / brands (or alternatively those to avoid) ?

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Best reason to do it :D

Brand wide I don't you'll go too far wrong regardless of who you choose if they're relatively 'mainstream' (GSkill, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial etc)

However finding sticks at those kind of timings at that kind of speed may be more of a challenge.

10. GeorgeK

That's the problem I'm finding - at the moment (bearing in mind I've spent all of 10 minutes looking) I can only find some by Avexir and I've never heard of them (although, like I've said I've only ever used Corsair)

11. TheMadDutchDude

Avexir make some fine RAM and held the record for DDR3 frequency at some stage. :)

I would (based on my personal experience) recommend G.SKILL TridentX's if you can track down some of the 2400MHz CAS 9 stuff. I've got the CAS 10 stuff and only needs a bit of extra voltage to do 2400MHZ 9-11-11-21. Whether you'd be comfortable with that, is up to you. My kit needs 1.7 volts so it obviously isn't recommended with the 1.65 volt limitation, but I've not tried anything less than what they're clocked at as it is for benching anyway.

12. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I had an Avexir set I think o my X58 setup, had no issues with them, I'd be happy buying them again :)

GeorgeK likes this.
  13. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

i think you may either going to have to loosen the timings slightly...

for example here's a 9-11-10 kit in stock

- or go for higher speed memory & underclock it to try & tighten the timings to your ideal -

for example here's a 2400MHz kit at 10-12-12 that 'may' do it.

Now g.skill have made tighter timed kits than these...

for example there's a 2133 RipjawX kit at 9-11-9-28 - F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD

(i have the 16GB (4x4GB) version of this kit - along with a 2400Mhz 32GB (4x8GB) CL10 g.skill kit in the other machine; both of which have been faultless)

& a 2400 TridentX kit at CL9-11-11-31 - F3-2400C9D-8GTXD

(which i assume is the one that TheMadDutchDude is referring to)

- but they don't appear to be readily available at sensible money.

This is part of the reason why i've linked to MemoryC as they've been really great at ordering in kits for me in the past, so it might be worth sending them an email to ask...

...though i'd suggest using g.skill's memory configurator to check to see if there's a better option for you first.

Well, i've only gone up to 2400MHz, & there obviously are kits that run at higher frequencies at various timings.

GeorgeK likes this.
  14. TheMadDutchDude

That is the one I was referring to, yes. They're very difficult to find and they go for some silly money when they do because benchers look out for them. Amongst others but those seem to be fairly highly wanted.

I think that even a set of the C10 TridentX's will do you proud. Mine will do 2600MHz C10 too but you're on Ivy so it may not be that easy to obtain.

GeorgeK likes this.
  15. GeorgeK

Cheers for that bud - I was starting to think the same, although I'd not want to go too loose or any benefit may well be lost...

Have some rep for your troubles :)

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I picked up som team `frost` lv 2400 CL 10 for £60 (2x4) from ocuk - works nicely ;)

17. GeorgeK

Last edited: 28 Mar 2014
  18. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

I use the teamgroup `frost` lv - 1.65v , 10-12-12-31 @ 2133 rock solid all day.

19. GeorgeK

Can't find that on OCUK... Or is that underclocked but with tighter timings? Also, did you see my edit or did I save that after you started posting?

Edit: Is the frost edition just white or is there another difference I'm not seeing?

Last edited: 28 Mar 2014
  20. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder