1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 7 years & my friend only just figures out PS3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by law99, 24 Nov 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Hi,

So I've this friend - yes I have a friend... - and he's always been a gamer. Every time I see him he likes a little chin wag about gaming.

He's always renting the latest titles and plays every one till it is blue in the face. He loves asking me about PC gaming and the difference between them and consoles plus anything like Oculus Rift or the games conventions you see across all the sites.

But there has always been a funny conversation with him about PS3 vs 360 graphics. If a game comes out on both consoles he will buy it on the 360. This is because the 360 according to him looks vastly superior and he doesn't get why people used to go on about the PS3 graphics.

"But what about Uncharted 1, 2, 3, the last of us, God of War and killzone titles?" I'd say with a friend that loves his gaming : "They looked incredible and way ahead of other games at the time they came out". We'd get the same response:

"I just don't see what the fuss is about. It looks all murky and a bit ****. Don't get me wrong, they were awesome games, but I just don't get what the fuss about the graphics are."

So we left it alone. Never questioned it too much because none of us really care. I personally couldn't see the difference between most games on one or the other. Neither could my other mate. (Seems way less believable with 2 friends doesn't it?)

Now being a bit of a in and out of employment type, he lives at home with Mum and Dad. So none of us ever really feel like going there to hang out. "More tea boys?" Nothing wrong with it, it's just a bit easier in one of our places. No one judging the amount of empty bear and vodka on the table. So we've never really been able to quantify what he's said to us; also, we don't really care.

Anyhow one of us went round there the other day and he was playing GTA V on the playstation. (He'd been moaning about buying it for the PS3. Should have bought it for the 360... looks so much better.)

Sure enough it looks a bit ****. Murky even.

Mate walks up to the PS3 and looks around the back. 7 years he's had this PS3.... and 7 years he's had an Xbox 360. And never once has he questioned why there is an HDMI cable for the 360... He's been using the cable from his PS2 for 7 years on his PS3. 7 years he's done this... on a fairly decent 27" tv.

:duh:

He told me last night and I couldn't catch my breath I was laughing so hard. He's now replaying all his old games... "Mate, they look amazing." He's getting a PS4 and he's only just discovered his PS3. 7 years he's done this. I can't get over it. Every time we talked last night one of us would pipe in with 7 years and erupt into laughter...

2. AiA

AiA Minimodder

vaguely remember someone telling me how great everything looks on their new HD TV
    then find out they are using a scart cable to connect to it =p

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I had a friend who didn't understand HDMI, so when he got a new TV and HDMI cable for his xbox 360 he assumed you needed the normal cables for audio plus the hdmi cable. He kept complaining they wouldn't fit, etc. so he took a knife to the normal cables in order to trim the connector down. Needless to say, after a month of complaining that it wouldn't fit, we were over and fixed it in seconds. He was soo amazed.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Mate did something similar on the 360, he plugged in the component cable and the composite cable and on the other end had it set as TV and even the TV channel says component.
    Tried telling him but he said it was right and not to touch his setup, so one day I told him to make me a brew so I had time to correct things and when he came back in he was shocked how better of a picture it was

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

to be fair its the fault of Sony for not including the appropriate cable in the box in the first place, not everybody understands digital interfaces.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Wtf? If you are doing it wrong though, I guess you might as well go the distance.

Maybe... He did it right with his 360 though and must have wondered why everyone else's PS3 looked better. Poor sod. He's not going to hear the end of this.

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Did his 360 come with a HMDI cable in the box (I can't remember if it was a standard thing with 360's that had the HDMI port)?

All of the PS3's on the other hand came with a sodding composite connector.... WHY SONY, WHY?!

8. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

my 360 certainly came with a hdmi cable, it's the one i'm currently using with the ps3 while the xbox sits in it's box gathering dust. it was one of the last fat ones though so i think hdmi was standard by then.

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I could see where the story was heading, but had to read on and have a good chuckle! Cheers for sharing!

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

No worries fellow Bournemouth person.

Tbh, it would be an easy mistake to make. But the fact he plays so much and has a gaming centric life, you'd think he'd have clocked this. Also, has he never tried a blu-ray? All questions I'll pose next time while he tries to avoid the subjects... (Im a bad friend)

11. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

After you've had enough of the 7 years reference over and over again :)

In my opinion, you'd be a bad a friend if you didn't take the p*** out of him. There are a lot of people I won't take the p*** out of. The few I will are my true friends, and I know that I can get away with it because they won't mind too much because they are such good friends and they'll be just as happy to dish it out if it was the other way around.

Classic case of RTFM though really isn't it.

12. law99

law99 Custom User Title

For sure. He's missed a console cycle because of it. (I know... he still enjoyed the games, but it just wasn't the full package, or even half of it as he doesn't go in for surround sound either)

Yeah, you can tell a lot of your good mates by how they react to the piss taking. I imagine the 7 years thing will probably be milked for around about 7 years. I'll set a google calendar reminder and see if I am still immature enough to throw him a party in 7 years time when he has seen it through.

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

At uni, we managed to con my flat mate into thinking he was hand picked for a swimsuit calendar and to send in pictures of himself in his swimwear.....

the idiot believed the whole story and we have all the photographic evidence we need to prove it happened!

It's now....8 years since that happened. It's still funny. We still take the piss. It will never die.

law99 likes this.