1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards P9X79-LE cpu led stays on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dinoscothern, 8 Oct 2016.

1. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

I recently obtained a x79 motherboard (P9X79-LE) and 3930k with the intent of having a bit of oc fun.
    All went well apart from some temperature issues whilst overclocking to 4.5Ghz (at 1.35V). I was asking about this in another thread when the machine wouldn't post after a reboot. The cpu light went on and stayed on. Just before I was experimenting mounting a fan behind the cpu (on the plate).

I've visually checked and cleaned the mb and cpu with no effect.
    I reinstalled the bios with usb flashback. And suddenly things started working. However when I rerouted the mb atx power it stopped working again. Now usb flashing makes no difference.
    I tried a different power supply but with no success.

I'm sort of thinking that that it might be an intermittent issue with the mb.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

Update:
    The issue seems to be involve the 24pin ATX connector. I can wiggle it a bit and things start to work again. I guess this is not too good, but not as bad as a broken mb/cpu.
    Any suggestions regarding how to make it more reliable?​

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Have you tried another PSU? I'd recommend removing the current PSU and use a paperclip to test it's OK while out of your PC.

That could help eliminate a dodgy PSU being the issue?

4. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

Yes I tried another PSU, thats when I discovered I could get it working again when I gave the connector+socket a firm flex. I just don't want it to go wrong again a few months down the line when its all fully assembled.

5. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

Its seems very likely to be the mb as a different mb + cpu, doesn't have the problem.
    When I'll get time I'm going to do a continuity test with modular ATX power cable and hopefully find a dry joint or something. I'm hoping its not pcb track related (hairline cracks etc).