1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Request for more folding in mag/articles

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by cave_diver, 13 Dec 2012.

1. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

To the authors and editors ...

When doing performance tests of processors and graphics cards, can there please be an inclusion of Folding@Home performance? Prior to the reshuffle at Dennis, reviews were starting to include F@H performance details and this would be very much appreciated by some of us!!

Well me at least ...

It seems folding seems to have been neglected ... I haven't seen any folding articles recently ... like "Best folding hardware"

I've got a farm (including my gaming pc) of about 12-15 pc's ranging from 15 year old P1's to c2d'/c2q's that I'm considering flogging to fund (and consolidate) buying new pc's for the folding addiction so having folding bench marks would be very useful!

Pleaseeeee BT!!

Humbly your life time servant ....

2. ross2011

ross2011 folding for my daughter

i like this idea lots as it would bring more people to folding, and make it easier to make informed purchases. folding hints and tips would be good too section in the mag to, to further increase the productivity of peoples rigs

3. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I think for many folder the equation is fairly simple. Fastest processor you can afford (currently that will mean the fastest Intel processor, but that may change again some day), and the fastest NVidia GPU you can afford (as AMD GPUs produce less points and use a whole CPU core). I do agree though that it would be good to have something more specific, even if that only means a small section in reviews.The biggest problem I can see with that, however, is that there is no standard folding benchmark, and testing eacch piece of hardware with a differnt work unit will not necessarily give comparable results.

4. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

If you can stretch the budget you want to aim for 16 cores plus in a system :)

If you went with the cheap(ish) dual socket 2011 hardware thats available on eBay you can get some serious points on the go. If I had the cash I would in a heartbeat.

An Asus z9pe-d8 and a pair of 6 core processors with HT would set you back around £900 inc ram. Probably a grand with a case you can modify and a PSU.

5. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

The PPD information in reviews for CPU's or GPU's has been poorly neglected for sometime, which is a real pity for a magazine/website that has its own Folding team ... so Editors, please put this information back in - a review of Kepler cards would be an ideal opportunity for this ;)

6. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Agreed, but don't forget the GPU QRB is probably going to be launched 'soon', since it has had an open beta test. The numbers appearing were impressive, more than 120,000PPD on a GTX 570. I suspect many readers will feel more comfortable with this more 'mainstream' hardware.

Though of course, you should never buy hardware based solely on folding results. :D

7. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

+1 to the original request

8. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

+1 also

I'm in the market for a kelper GPU so a review inc folding performance would be good :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

9. cave_diver

cave_diver Minimodder

Debs - completely agree - its very difficult to benchmark - as you say all the different WU's do slightly differently. But it would be nice and be 90% accurate if every piece of future hardware reviewed had a small table showing PPD - yes it wont be perfect and 100% comparable to another test on another card, but its mostly there and very indicative.

I'd love to see more folding articles, like "best GPU" and "best CPU", advanced configuration using some of the flags, guides. But even just the FAH performance wouldn't be a major problem during the benchmarking process surely?

Tarka - depending on how much money I raise a dual xeon pc would be the dream as I could use it as a combined gaming/workstation/folding beast - you might start seeing me listing my kit - ideally I'd like to keep it within the team - it would be perfect for someone who has just got the bug and wants to start to build up a farm.

Is James Gorbold still working for Dennis - get him back in the circle to advise on what would be good to put in the mag re: folding!!

10. Psyance

Psyance What's a Dremel?

+1 please do this BT/CPC.

11. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I believe there's some stuff planned.

If you guys can PM me your setups etc & PPD etc I can try & get it written in to an feature for you.