1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Cheapy Fan Controller Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 1 Oct 2014.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I bought one of these to control the fans in my HTPC a bit

Asetek 3 pin Fan Controller

but misread the description - I thought it said that it would control 3 fans but actually it's only 1 3 pin fan (it's been a very long week). If I was to but one (or more) y cables do you think it'd be safe to run 3 fans off that one controller? If it makes a difference there the stock fans in a Silverstone GD04.

Cheers

GK

2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

My thoughts:

The transistor/fet on the back of it hasn't got any form of heatsink attached to it, which tells me they've chosen one that can handle one fan easily. A standard 120mm fan is about 0.25-0.5W. Three of those at 12V isn't going to draw much more than 1.5W

The best way to test is to connect up the three fans with the controller out of the case, run them for a while and feel the FET to see if it gets hot. Try at very low speed and very high.

I think you'll be fine.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It depends on the rating. I have used one before and had a couple of fans running from it. If for arguments sake its rated at 15w, you could probably get 3 fans on it

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Cheers for the input guys. I can't find anywhere what it's rated at... I'll take another look round before I decide what to do. Any thoughts as to where I would find what it's rated at?

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I've had a look round can't find much. But I would say 2 normal fans on that would be fine.. What fans are you using?