1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Auto DNS config of a Cisco router via CLI?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Unicorn, 4 Oct 2014.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

This is one for the Cisco gurus, I have been asked to config an archaic piece of Cisco hardware, a Soho 97 Series router, with new IP settings. Why this firm is paying me for call-outs and by the hour thereafter to diagnose and config their network through this thing instead of replacing it, I will never know, but they are being stubborn and refuse to replace it despite my advice "because it's still working".

For starters I had to reset the password for it, as the one they had on file didn't work. I can't use the CRWS (Cisco Router Web Setup) GUI because the version of Java it uses is blocked by every version of every browser which is available for W7, and frankly it's going to be easier for me to do it via the CLI than successfully access the GUI.

I need to remove the currently configured DNS servers and set it to automatically detect them. This is a static IP connection, so why they are doing that I also don't know. The whole situation is pretty screwed up, their ISP (who recently bought out their old ISP) has told them to config this router for automatic DNS, which is what I'm trying to do. I know someone here will be able to help and any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I have an old XP machine I RDP to for doing work on cisoc stuff, but could you set up an XP virtual machine and use IE6 and an old version of Java?
    Otherwise can you run
    Code:
    show running-config
    on the router and post the output?