1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other In major need of upgrade and i need your help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jls25, 21 Feb 2012.

1. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

Hey everyone. So i have been a long time member on this site, but its clear that from my post count i read more than i write on this site.

anyway, i am back and its because i am in much much need of an upgrade. im still running 775. :p

so my current set up is

CPU: E8400 @ 3.6
    2GB DDR2
    680i
    8800 GT super clocked
    Corsair TX750

misc. HDD = 3.5TB

HAF 932

anyway, so im upgrading because i am a photographer and cinematographer and I need a rig for editing video and photos, and for some good gaming as well. though im more of a console person, i still miss PC gaming.

now i want to keep some parts, but it would only be my PSU, CPU cooler (fenrir which i think supports sandy bridge) case, and HDD.

So i was thinking of getting:

i5 2500K - i heard good things about this, and about overclocking
    any DDR3 memory
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
    GTX 560TI

that would cost nearing a grand if i am not mistaken.

do you guys have any recommendations? or do you guys agree that this is a good set up?

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

All very good choices. You could buy a lower range motherboard if you wanted to save a few pennies!

3. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

what other motherboard do you say would be good? would it do good for overclocking still? what would be the main difference

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Z86 boards utiliise onboard GPU thats the i5 has whilst P8P67 board doesnt.

Plus do you need the extra features the Deluxe board has?

I have the P8P67 Rev 3 basic version and it is a pretty good over all board. Overclocks well from the little I have done. SLI capable too.

What games do you play and at what resolution? The GTX 560ti is an ok GPU but for a longer life I'd go for a GTX 570. Or an AMD equivilant. It's down to your budget.

DDR3 1600mhz variety would suit you best 8 gigs minimum.

5. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

onboard GPU? bu wouldnt i just end up disabling it to use my graphic card? and crysis, cs source, tf2, and any pc game really. I use a 22 inch monitor, 1920 x1080 .

8GB would be wonderful, for my adobe suite. are these boards SLI and crossfire ready?

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

It is there just in case your main GPU where to stop working. I believe they support SLI. Though all Z68 boards Scan list arent SLI ready. Even an EVGA board which has SLI on it's box lol

It's down to budget. A P8P67 which supports SLI 32gb RAM, has Sata 3 and Sata 2, USB 3 Header is under £100 now!

7. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

what about any tri channel mobos?

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

That would be X58 Stuff, and with Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge just around the corner, and SB-E already out, intel is just about to put the final nail in the coffin of X58

Essentially there is no point buying X58 stuff now, unless you need a 6 core 12 threaded processor on a budget, and stupendous amounts of RAM :D

9. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

so is tri channel isnt really worth it then? Is it a smart purchase to buy the stuff i have said earlier? because i had plans to get this all done next weekend.

10. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

The setup looks quite good, all I have to say is that you should get as much ram as possible.
    If you're talking about photo qnd cinematic programs you can use all that ram. Ram is quite cheap these days anyway :)

11. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

I was aiming around 16GB of memory plus a main SSD drive for my OS to increase rendering time etc. at 1600mhz btw. it cost around 100 bucks for 16GB DDR3 1600mhz here in toronto.

12. thetrashcanman

TRI Channel is only really designed for X58 board's, you should be looking at Dual or Quad Channel RAM

and yes those parts are very solid, only thing I will say is that ivy bridge is meant to be on course for a paper launch in April, while the chips should be out by the summer, so it might be worth considering waiting for that, or just make sure you get yourself a gen 3 board and you could always drop an ivy bridge chip in your system later down the road.

jls25 likes this.
  13. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

i sort of need it for my school studies, and i know that i would be pleased with this upgrade. computer technology always upgrades soo fast its almost pointless :p

i wouldnt mind getting ivy bridge, but im sure the prices would be higher. What would you recommend then for a good motherboard that supports 1155 as well as the new ivy bridge? and i havent followed ivy bridge too much. i assume its not 1155.

14. thetrashcanman

Fair enough, then I would definitely go with a sandy bridge build now then :)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-sata-raid-pcie-30-(x16)-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

That would be a perfect board for your needs in my opinion and at a very reasonable price

ivy bridge is compatible with 1155 with a BIOS update, so you could buy a Z68 and 2500K now and always upgrade later to a 3550K if you so wish, Oh and the price's of the ivy bridge gear should be about the same as Sandy Bridge :)

15. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

that would be great then. i sort of can wait, but cant at the same time. but i mean, getting all this know, and changing my CPU later down the road isnt a big loss in comparison to what i am doing know, switching everything.

now, i searched up the board at the store i am purchasing it at, and i see the exact same thing, but different prices... any idea why?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Asus P8Z68&page=1&sort=3d

16. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Scan is a UK company so is in GPB, and your in canada and that store lists price in dollars?

17. thetrashcanman

Sorry just realised I linked you to UK site, you saying a grand through me I completely forgot you where in Canada

[​IMG]

18. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

19. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

On a different note I think more people should, like you, read more than they write. Oh imagine.

(not aimed at anyone here just the world in general)

20. thetrashcanman

No problem buddy, and yes the one I put in the build was a 560TI 448 core, which is a little bit up from a standard 560ti, closer to a gtx 570 really, and the equivalent of a 560ti 448 for AMD would be a 6950 or 6970