1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 19 Jun 2015.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

They said for years they wouldn't do it, but here it is. I cried nerd tears of joy. :D

2. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Considering what the Devs said about amending some parts of the story etc, it may well end up being more of a 'Retelling' than a 'Remake'

God I hope they don't change the battle system to one of the more recent iterations.
    Still looking forward to it though.

3. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd love the battle system to be pretty much the same. I guess time will tell.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: Yeah I'd buy it too. :)

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

It's a from the ground up remake, i'd be surprised if they kept any of it exactly the same. Materia will still be there but I can see it being a grittier, more adult game.

Also, cloud has been changed massively over the last 18 years. He used to be snarky and a bit of a cocky ass. Now in the current interpretations of him, he's gloomy and emotional. Can you see that cloud riding on a chocobo or crossdressing? So serious and gloomy? I can't.

But the gameplay isn't even what people love. Let's be honest - the gameplay sucks. It's mediocre and exactly the same formula as every other turn based RPG over the last 25 years or so. It doesn't do anything better (except the materia system, which isn't actually that great because every character becomes the same damn character when you have master everything) but that isn't what everyone is holding on to. People are cherishing the game they grew up with, the stories and the characters. I personally look forward to an action battle system like FFXV, it works extremely well. If they do turn based, at least make it more like FFXIII where battles aren't completely random. People aren't holding onto the gameplay, they're holding onto the motorcycle scene, the crossdressing, the mini games and the current SE isn't a company I trust to do that in a way that die hard fans will like.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This ... this is the reason I've been waiting for to get a PS4!

I hope they won't change it too much ... I loved breeding those chocobos, and the feeling of finally being able to ride one to that hidden island was pure triumph! Suddenly I'm feeling all giddy.

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's a remake, not a HD remaster, so expect changes. I'd certainly be thinking character design will be along the lines of Advent Children/Crisis Core and changes to the battle system are absolutely going to happen. Saying that, they know that changing the actual story in any meaningful way would result in the biggest backlash ever.

Personally I can't wait for the music. Uematsu's work on the FFF VII back catalogue has been phenomenal.

8. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

TBH the music was the only thing about #7 that I liked, really wasn't a fan of the game itself [yep I'm one of those...]

Hopefully the rabid 'we want a HD remake' lot will stfu now...

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Nah. Now we need VIII, IX and XII. The latter should be easy, especially as they've demonstrated their chops with the excellent X/X-2 remasters.

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

In other words; we're going to have to watch Aeris die again...

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well yes. Because her dying is required for the storyline of Advent Children. Plus it is consistently voted as one of the best moments of gaming, ever.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Aeris has to die that's how the story was written. Guess there will be a few achievements relating to get her to max level or her level 4 ult. attainable but time consuming.

13. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

The big thing I remember about her death was it was at the end of a disk. The thing with FFVII is I look back at it fondly for the memories rather than the game itself.
    This is something I am hugely looking forward to. But I'm trying not to get too hyped.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The cross dressing will still be included. I saw an interview somewhere (I forget where) and they have said to look forward to it.

Sadly I think the battle system will be changed as they are bringing it into the 21st century and a lot of the younger crowd who never played the original would likely be bored by the old fashioned ATB system. I'm just hoping they don't butcher the fight system. What I would really, really like is if when you start the game for the first time they give you the option of old battle system or new. But we shall see.

The game is going to be different, no doubt about that. It won't be the old FF7 we love, and that is fine so long as they do a good job of keeping the soul of the game intact. With Tetsuya Nomura being on the team it stands a good chance.

It is a very brave thing they are doing. If SquareEnix mess this up it could be the end of them.

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Miss Cloud <3

I think the materia system needs changing, as anybody who ploughed too much time in to the game ended up with identical characters (beyond their limit breaks). Perhaps we may see something akin to the FF staple job system, with characters being fixed? (So Yuffie is the thief, etc etc)

16. rollo

rollo Modder

To reach the point where materia was pointless is about 60-70hours of farming for 3 characters. More than that really as that just covered the master materials.

It was also super un needed. Having beaten everything and then leveled up to 99 you don't need a lot of stuff to beat the main 2 big optional fights.

Cloud + quadra hit and mime was basically ruby or you could knights it for the lols.
    Emerald was even simpler with the advantage of having 3 characters. Both had tricks related to not using full material slots.

Level 100/99 sephiroth was just a grind.

I'd say final fantasy 7 is the only one without a really ball breaker of a fight where you could perform perfectly and still lose. Final fantasy 10 has several optional fights where it comes down to luck.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You didn't need to master all the materia - the copying problems emerge a lot earlier, as players realise that there's a mere handful of materia that you actually need on each character to keep them useful. The materia system is great up until the master materia start arriving, after which it is no longer a challenge to set up characters in new and different ways.

Yes, as with all RPGs you don't need to max things out to complete the story, or indeed most optional bosses. But if somebody is playing to finish 100%, they'll end up hitting the materia boredom part.

18. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I know, and I agree. My point was that even now, nearly twenty years later, that moment still sticks with me - firmly etched into my mind as both the greatest, and the saddest, moment I've ever experienced while playing a game.

Although, I must admit I was never able to beat Ruby weapon - even though I did max out all my characters, I did get all the master materia ... but still, I couldn't find a way to beat him. I will this time - we have unfinished business!

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, all my characters had either identical or very very similar materia collections.

Admittedly characters I didn't give a **** about didn't (Especially Yuffie, that materia stealing slagwagon) didn't really get the best attention paid to them, but.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Ruby is simply about exploiting bugs to win or using knights spam. Ruby basically requires the player to chug hero drinks on a maxed str cloud. With minimal materia equiped.

You literally heal using elixir and do dmg with counter attack quad linked together. To get the hero drinks or elixirs requires the use of w item exploit. Cloud will do around 10k per round of 4 attacks with 4 hero and 255. Fight takes about 30 mins. You get the odd meteor rain limit break ( does more than omislash as it ignores def)

The only other way to kill ruby is to knights mime spam which gets old. And also takes the best part of 1hour as you can not speed up the animations for summons in ff7.