1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Anonymous threatens Sony

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Ridiculous

3. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Its like a "b" rated movie

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I like their sentiment, but they do put out ridiculous videos...

5. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'm already supporting Anonymous - I haven't bought a Sony product in years. :p

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

haha I do love Anon.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

So Anon post video on Youtube, I guess their IP wouldn't have been masked making it easy for another "breach of privacy"....

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Maybe they uploaded it from an internet cafe?

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The video does look suspiciously like the Bit-Gamer labs, I think...

11. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

I do think some of the stuff is funny, but I don't think the protests they're trying to incite with the video above will do much - a bunch of kids in masks outside a Sony Store is hardly likely to deter a high street shopper, probably just amuse and confuse them.

12. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Haha!

13. Deders

Deders Modder

So they want people to boycott and protest against Sony because they won't let them pirate games?

14. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

otherOS =/ pirating games.

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

In all seriousness though. I can't agree to their cause. Too wishy washy in their methods. There are much more serious matters at hand they can inject themselves into. Not trying to saying that a court ruling in Sony's favor wouldn't set precedence for the future, but even still I don't think it was something as serious as Anon makes it out to be or Ben Heck would have been sued many times over for his console mods.

Perhaps I'll make my way to a Sony store and purchase another LCD for the bedroom for the lulz. And I'll wear a Guy Fawkes mask while I do it.

16. fodder

fodder Minimodder

between 'engineered failure' in their hardware, atrocious software, blatant disregard for loss of media legally bought and the proprietorisation of open(ish) source phone OS, I have not bought and will not touch Sony products ever again.

I do think they are chasing a lost cause though. I wouldn't want someone advertising a way to cut off my income. Far better to show how many users lost music libraries bought from sony when they tried to change machines after 'sound stage' or whatever it was called was discontinued. Or how video recorders and DVD players had parts engineered to fail just outside warranty. Maybe try to educate potential customers how Android has a built in over the air update system yet Sony tie you to another piece of software on your PC or Mac to perform their updates (long after most other manufacturers have released theirs).

Rant over.

17. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

I find the whole Sony fighting against copyright theft thing both deeply ironic and rather ridiculous.

Ironic - It was Sony who fought against (and beat) the movie studios back in the eighties when they released the video recorder.

Ridiculous - they remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide. Except in their case their are trying to keep information secret that has already been released on the internet (it's even been tweeted by one of their employees!). Using the courts to try and protect the PS3 from hackers is pretty much achieving the exact opposite.

Still, to some degree they brought it upon themselves by their draconian removal of OtherOS.

As for Anonymous, it seems that some kids enjoy making dodgy videos. Nevertheless, I can't entirely disagree with "civil disobedience". Too many corporations are using money to influence politicians and the threat of expensive legal action to wield power over everyone else. I'm not sure I entirely agree with Anon but one thing I do know this: our basic right of "innocent until proven guilty" is being eroded (removed?) under our noses. In a very short time an accusation of copyright theft will be an assumption of guilt.

So what is worse? Illegal "civil disobedience" or the loss of our basic rights?

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Sent from your iPhone ;P

19. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

It has nothing to do with Piracy.

20. Eggy

Eggy Minimodder

They should get a job and out of their parents' basement.

Tags: Add Tags