1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware CES 2011: Crucial Details C300 Successor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

hmm higher read/write speeds are all fine and dandy thought but i would rather much perfer to see a larger capacity SDD produced that is cheaper for consumers or competitive in a way that is makes a large capacity HDD purchase no longer cost effective.

3. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Dream on. The price of flash is very closely linked to the fab process used. With intel now producing 25nm chips (everyone else is stuck on 32nm or higher) they can produce higher density chips which means lower costs. But they are also less durable (3000 write life expectancy, down from 5000 on 32nm). There will come a point where you cant get any smaller using the same technology without having life span measured in days. If they cant get below 20nm for years, prices wont change much.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That's not, strictly speaking, a very good price, though, is it?

5. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

LOL.. I just bit the bullet and bought the existing C300 128Gb 4 days ago, to replace a slower OCZ Vertex 1 128.

Maybe upgrading during CES wasn't such a hot idea..

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Lol, why the hell would you ditch an Indilinx drive? They're crazy fast as it is anyway. Still hanging on to my Crucial M225 until it dies.

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Really? I didn't know that. Why would a die shrink affect the life expectancy? It's not like modern CPU's don't live as long as old CPU's.

3000 doesn't seem like a very big number for a boot drive with various editing software on it...

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Modern CPUs don't contain megabyte after megabyte of NAND flash. It's completely different technology - and it's hard enough to read at the best of times.

9. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

oh my good god I can't wait to try one of these drives, they sound awesome, especially the write speeds, and the price drop (fingers crossed) might be able to swap my 64gb for a 128gb ssd now

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

to fast for my laptop lol so no I dont feel burnt by my purchase of an ssd (it was also tiny)

however I dont really see the need for it on my main pc.

11. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

64GB C300 for £64 = Impulse purchase.

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

I appreciate it's obviously different tech - comparing to CPU's was the only obvious thing I could think of that also experienced die shrinks. I was just expressing my surprise really.

Does anyone know why it affects the lifespan of it? I generally expect new generations of technology to improve on what's gone before, not regress. I'm planning for an entirely new build within the next 2/3 months, and I'm about 90% certain I'll be having an SSD for the OS, (it was going to be a C300 till I saw this) but if longevity is a problem, I think it's something I'll have to look into...

13. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'm going to be spoilt for choice in a few months when I upgrade, I'll happily drop £150 on a 128Gb high performance SSD.
    hmm, decent SATA 6Gb/s is a must on my next mobo then.

14. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

I need cheap and superb SSD 1TB right now to say goodbye to old HDDs.

Btw, I have a C300 128GB, love it!

15. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Still loving my M225 too :)

Harry, why did you feel the need to add ", though," into every sentence? The last time you even used a full stop instead by accident! "Most importantly. though,"

A , isn't needed before though, just after.

16. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

That explains wy the c300 has been dropping in price lately, for the people complaining about the price, do you think the previous gen c300 will drop in price to make it more affordable when the new gen comes out?

17. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

To bump this, do we have any further details on said new Crucial drive? I could do with a 512GB SSD in my pc.

18. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Aye, going to wait until my Intel dies before I'd get an SSD upgrade too. Pretty sure going from a slower SSD to a faster SSD isn't going to be as noticeable as going from HDD to SSD, it's all about the fast 0.1ms seek time that makes the difference.

19. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

I could do with that kind of disposable cash.

20. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Q1 OF 2011 is what is being talked about in other forums, some companies it seems have started production so it will be another month or two i would imagine to see them hitting shops...

Around £160 is being talked about for the 128gb version very much in line with the current c300 prices i would expect..

The 256gb c300 is at £350 there abouts, would hate to see what the 512GB C400 comes out price wise i too wish i had that sort of disposable cash..:)

Tags: Add Tags