1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other CD key sites

Discussion in 'Software' started by phoenixck, 20 Mar 2013.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

So does anyone know where these sites get their codes from?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Usually MSDN or Technet keys which are illegal to resell

3. phoenixck

what about gaming keys?

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

People decompile the game or program, and sees how the product key algorithm works. From there they make a generator app, and distribute either the tool, or the generated keys. And that is why you get on rare occasions, a person that buy a game or program, and the key is already in used, and requires to go through some trouble (contact the company, show proof of purchase), to get a new key or new product.

5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

This happened to me when I bought the half life blue box! The key was already in use, even though I had just bought the game!

6. phoenixck

Even those like world of cd keys?

7. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Now that the question you really want to ask i.e. Where do companies that sell game keys obtain their keys from. People might be able to give you an answer.
    They buy them from distributors, pretty much the same way people by the hard copies of software.

8. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Yea im confused by this question? Illegal key gens? or legit keys?

I looked into possibly running a website to sell game times for things like WOW and EVE etc, i barely got any useful info back from the corporate offices, EVE i did manage to get an actual email to speak to someone direct, but they assumed i already had some sort of online shop, when i said i was looking at starting one they wouldnt help.

I even went to an exisiting shop asking how the procure the keys, they just said "why not join our affiliate program instead..."

9. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

This also happened to me when i bought Left 4 Dead 1, had to send steam a scan of the serial no on the manual and the receipt with my steam username on, annoying to say the least. Took 3 days to come through, a bit annoying when you buy on day of release to play then cant -_-

10. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

slightly off topic but ive always wondered how people sell used steam games on things like amozon etc.. when the keys have probably been used?