1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP / Vita PS Vita: Is 16GB enough & Memory questions

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 18 Dec 2013.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hi guys,

just got some questions about the PS Vita, got a new one todya but not sure how the memory system works.

Is it effectively a hard drive that you install games on to or is it just a save stick?

And can I transfer games or game saves between sticks?

Sorry for the totally noob questions

Cheers!

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's a 'hard drive' in many ways, as that stick provides capacity for save games, game installs etc. 16GB will be a reasonable amount, but I've got 32GB in both mine and the wife's Vitas. Keep an eye on it and see how you go.

As for transfer, not really. You can backup to a PlayStation console via USB however.

3. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Hi Sotu1

First yes you can use it to store games as well as data, however i have a 32gb memory card and managed to fill it in a month, mainly with games off PSplus. However if you don't mind deleting games, or you buy your games in cartridge format (which in many cases are cheaper than off PSN) you shouldn't have any problems with 16gb. If you like having your full collection with you at all times, and you have playstation plus, then you'll need to wait until they release bigger cards!

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you can use PS3 to archive stuff off and on to the vita to save downloading, you can get by with 16 just fine, 8Gb would be managable if you don't have to carry every thing, 4Gb is not worth having some games are that big.

regarding saves, you can cloud save.

I would always opt for a bigger card personally though as I like to have access to as much as poss.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Do I have to carry catridges for different games everywhere?

I prefer not to have to delete stuff and just have everything ready all the time.

I will get PS Plus, but am also selling my PS3

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You have to carry carts unless you buy digitally, if you want to carry everything buy the biggest cards possible.

You may be able to archive on PC with Sony content manager, I have never used it.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

So...use the 16GB and upgrade later or just go big now?

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd go big right away and forget about it but that's me, I am wasteful with my dough. :D

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

If I buy my games via the playstation store I'm assuming I can re-download to another memory stick with no problems right? It's not capped to one download or something silly?

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

you can download again yes or use the content manager to backup on PC etc. There are machine activation limits so you couldn't do it to many Vitas but yes re-download no problem.

11. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I've got a 16GB stick in my Vita and on it is Wipeout 2047, Escape Plan, a few small games (Cliff Diving, Frobisher Says, etc) and I'd say about ten game demos, making it just about full.

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

One more odd question... does PS Plus work across countries?!

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Don't know, carts are region free but PSN is region locked, not sure how they operate in different countries I assume you cann only access UK content