1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung Series 9 monitor review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Shiny screen = fail. Nice looking screen though.

Why only give a report on out of the box performance. You had a colorimeter, why not calibrate it and see how good it can actually be? It's not a big job, and takes no longer than measuring it's out of the box performance.

You mention sRGB mode, which makes me assume this is a wide gamut screen, but the review doesn't actually specify this. What's it's percentage of Adobe RGB1998? How does PLS fair with IPS with black levels off axis? There's so much missing here, and so much fail in this review.

I still don't see why when your CPU, GPU and other hardware reviews are so technically detailed you insist on doing these consumer style monitor reviews. I thought this was a serious hardware and modding site?

Sorry Bit, but your monitor reviews are terrible.

3. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

The usb ports are on the back of the bottom of the stand? yea that's handy Not

4. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

It would be nice to see calibrated results - I agree. Also it would be great to include monitor recommendations in the Buyer's Guide. Oh and the moon on a stick :p

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems it's high time to get a Samsung SyncMaster S27A850T (or Samsung SyncMaster S24A850DW for 24") if you want a monitor with a _matte_ PLS panel and which doesn't look you into a certain stand.

6. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I know this is a bit nit-picky but I don't like the idea of having a stand that holds all of your connections.

Supposing you had enough money to burn and you wanted to mount six together on one of those multi monitor mounts, with your connections built into the stand you are going to have a real problem. Wall mounting might also be an issue, so I suppose you would simply look elsewhere.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I thought you used to do input lag measurements with your monitor reviews? I agree with Pookeyhead, bad review is bad.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Very pretty looking but, for £800, I'd want the option to wall mount it if I felt the need.

I'd only give it a feature score that high if the stand was removable, it had a vesa mount and a second set of inputs. Me no likely the need for a power brick either.

My wallet can rest easy, as there's little danger of me wanting one, never mind buying one.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For that much money, I'd prefer it focus less on stand aesthetics and more on pragmatism.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, considering that the S27B970 and the S27A850T use identical panels (except perhaps for a minor revision) why would you ever choose the former over the latter, when the latter is a lot cheaper (about 500 GBP) and doesn't lock you in with a specific stand that holds most of the electronic components. Oh, and the latter has a matte panel to boot.

11. Elton

Because it's shiny. This is why we can't have nice things. Being all sensible! :nono: :D

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The USB ports look like they're on the side of the base.

looking at it, I don't think it has Vesa mounts so you wouldn't be able to use it on a mounting bracket anyway.

13. Prowler_88

Prowler_88 What's a Dremel?

I can understand why monitors for photo editing etc command a high price, but with lag on modern TVs usually being extremely low, how can you justify spending that much on a monitor for anything else. Resolutions above 1080p only make a difference if you sit with your face stuck to the screen, particularly with AA enabled, and colour reproduction, black levels etc. are usually better handled by decent quality TVs.

I'd rather stick with my 42" Panasonic G20 for PC, PS3 and films rather than spend £800 on a 27" monitor!

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'd rather buy a Dell 2711 for quite a lot less than that, and have far more flexibility in the process.

15. Elton

If the PLS monitor shows to be better than IPS then the matte version might have a chance.

On the other hand, regular HDTVs actually have some pretty bad input lag.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

£275 over the competing dell is just INSANE no one who is looking at this will say its value for money.

you can buy a very nice tv set that will do a better job if all you care for is games and films for the same £800 made by samsung none the less.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Bleh.

The comparison to Apple's Thunderbolt display is an interesting one - the Samsung is cheaper, but the Apple is made of solid aluminium (so no wobble) and also includes things like a gigabit ethernet port, HD webcam, FireWire... Basically, I think Samsung should have made this even cheaper, competing with the U2711's price rather than Apple.

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Pookey speaketh the truth.

Doesn't go into anywhere near enough detail to let me know whether this monitor is worth buying over an Apple or Dell. It's an opinion piece, and by the sound of it, written by someone who's new to 27" monitors (Hence the comments about getting used to smaller icon sizes)

Also...

The Dell 2711 is individually calibrated and comes with a printed report (As do the pro 24")

19. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I think it looks nice, but I honestly don't like glass covered lcds

20. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

No point going on about apple thunderbolt display as I don't think that will connect to most PCs.

Tags: Add Tags