1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Maximus V Gene SATA problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sixfootsideburns, 18 Jan 2013.

1. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

So I just built a new rig with the following hardware

Intel I5-3570k
    Asus Maximus V Gene
    EVGA Superclock 660 Ti
    Corsair 8GB (4x2) Vengeance
    2x Crucial M4 128GBs
    Corsair 750TX
    Asus DRW 24 B1ST SATA DVD burner

So I got Windows installed and up and running (using the two Intel controlled SATA6 ports), I shutdown my computer, moved my ROM to one of the ASmedia ports to make room for the second SSD, and all of a sudden my ROM is no longer seen in the BIOS. I tried the Intel SATA3 also and no luck, I also tried three different cables and nothing. I moved the ROM back to SATA6 and it showed back up so I know the drive is fine. Also the other weird thing is, the 2nd SSD shows up in the other SATA ports.

Anyone have any ideas why my ROM wont show up? Do I need to enable something?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2013
  2. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

From using my Asus P8P67-M Pro, I believe there is an option to indivually enable and disable each SATA port. I use this when I install Linux to make sure I don't wipe over my Windows drive. Try checking if the Intel SATA 3 which should be (SATA3_0, SATA3_1, SATA3_2 and SATA3_0) are all enabled.

As far as the ASMedia port goes, since it is not part of the chipset, it will have its own controller which can be activated/deactivated somewhere in the BIOS.

Also, although it seems obvious, double check the power is firmly inserted into the ROM and the power supply if it is modular (Yes, I am speaking from past experience :wallbash:). Also double check that the SATA cable is clipped in properly.

If the above fails, I think your best bet would be to 'Clear CMOS'. If the Maximus V is anything like the IV, there should be a small green circular arrow button on the back panel which will restore the BIOS to its original and (hopefully) functional state.

Good luck!

edit: I just reread that it only works in the SATA 6 ports. I would definitely try clearing the CMOS and see if it works on the SATA 3GB ports

3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I'm fairly sure the ASMedia controller is for hard drives only but it wouldn't explain why the drive didn't show up when it was connected to the Intel SATA 3 ports...

Edit: Yep:

Still doesn't explain why it wouldn't show up on the Intel SATA 3 ports though.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2013
  4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Have you installed the drivers for the ASmedia controller as that would prevent it not showing up

5. sixfootsideburns

Didn't know that, thanks for the info! But like you said, still doesn't explain the rest :(

Yes I have installed them, and according to the ASUS website they are the most up to date driver available.

Tried it and still no luck, everything is definitely plugged in securely also

6. sixfootsideburns

Anyone else have any thoughts? I've searched and searched can't find much for information on the problem

Last edited: 21 Jan 2013
  7. sixfootsideburns

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Can you post a photo of BIOS settings showing SATA settings (where the hard drives are listed with the Hot swap and SMART settings) ?

9. sixfootsideburns

sure, does the "Print Screen" work even from BIOS? Or is there another way to do it?

10. faugusztin

Plug in a FAT32 formatted USB key and press F12 on the screen you want to make screenshot of. Or pull out your camera and create a real photo :).

11. Xir

Xir Modder

That reminds me I'll need to buy a SATA DVD-ROM...the old ones won't connect to the gene.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I had this sort of issue with my P7P55D in my HTPC, and a simple BIOS reset solved the issue. I tried all sorts of things before that, to no avail - maybe worth a go as a first step?

13. sixfootsideburns

Alright thanks for the tip on the USB! And also on the camera... I suppose if I had thought a little harder I probably could have come up with that on my own :hehe: I'm at work but I'll take a picture when I get home tonight

I thought that might be the case too, but a) the drive isn't that old especially for a ROM. Its maybe two years old and I've had ROMs run for easily 7-8 years. and b) it DOES connect to the Intel SATA6 ports, just not the Intel SATA3. its "b" that throws all my theories out the window

I tried resetting the CMOS via the button on the back of the mobo and it didn't fix it :wallbash:

14. jinq-sea

I'm assuming you've tried various cables?

15. sixfootsideburns

yes sir I have, and I know the cables I tried are good because I checked them against the SSDs. If for no other reason this is driving me crazy just on principle. There is no reason why this shouldn't just work!

Last edited: 22 Jan 2013
  16. sixfootsideburns

[​IMG]

In this picture I currently have the ROM drive plugged into SATA6 as you can see, but the strange thing is that the 2nd SSD doesn't show up in the Bios but it does once I start my computer...

Last edited: 24 Jan 2013
  17. jinq-sea

Sorry - missed that in the OP... :I

So - in summary, is it all working, even though the BIOS suggests otherwise?

18. sixfootsideburns

no, I still can't get the ROM to work in a SATA3 port. Right now I have my SSD there but for obvious reasons I would rather it be in SATA6 and have the ROM in SATA3

19. faugusztin

So you say your black SATA ports don't work. Time for RMA then i guess.

20. sixfootsideburns

huh? I never said that at all :hehe: If it was as simple as that I would have RMAed right away.

All the ports work with with hard drives. Not entirely sure why the drive didn't show up though. The only functional problem is that plugging my ROM into the SATA3 results in the drive not showing up. The ROM wont work in the ASmedia ports because they only support hard disks and SSDs