1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fatshark: Not many people finish singleplayer games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 19 Aug 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yep. That sums me up in a nutshell.

3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I usually do.

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Sounds like an excuse to have a crap SP game.
    Most people I know complete all single player element's of a game especially if it's a largely SP game.

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Disagree if I spend money on a game. Sometimes however bad it is i feel slightly compelled to finish it. And if its good I always do!

6. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I mostly finish the single player campaigns (I mean, maybe not 100% then, but at least complete the story).

tbh, i think they've just been asking the wrong people :p

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Last single player game I didn't finish was Overlord, because it was soooooooo boring. After 6 hours I just gave up. Lucky the series only cost me £2 during a sale.
    I mostly persevere even through mediocre games but every now and then I just cut my looses and move on. Spiderman shattered dimensions was another one this year I gave up on. Terrible terrible game.

I think that's the only two this year.

Just finished Limbo there now. Great wee game but according to steam it only took me 3hrs. Kinda wish I'd waited for a sale :(

8. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I like the idea of unlockable items thanks to the single/coop mode.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

My friends and I enjoy multiplayer gaming more than single player gaming and because so many games are released sometimes there just isn't time to finish a SP campaign especially if you work full time and want to play the games your mates are playing.

Of the games on my desk in front of me (and on Steam), I haven't finished the SP campaigns of:

Mass Effect 2 (because it's a horrid console port and it raged me too much)
    FEAR 2 (see above)
    DragonAge (because another game came out)
    Sacred 2 (because it's ****)
    CoD4 (wanted to play MP)
    GRAW2 (wanted to play MP)
    Oblivion (other games came out)
    DoW2:CR (hit the level cap on the 5th mission - pointless carrying on)
    Company of Heroes (wanted to play MP)
    Fallout New Vegas (other games came out)
    MoH (would rather play BF2)
    OF: Dragon Rising (not that great)
    OF: Red River (worse that OF:DR)
    Resident Evil 5 (got stuck on a bit near the end, couldn't complete)
    Torchlight (still playing)
    Call of Cthulhu (got bored)
    Earth 2160 (****)
    GTA Vice City (no idea lol)
    Grotesque Tactics (didn't like it)
    Killing Floor (didn't like it)
    King Arthur (didn't like it)
    Jade Empire (horrid console port)
    Mount & Blade + Warband (got bored)
    Order of War (crap)
    Spellforce 1+2 (crap)
    Tales of Monkey Island (1-5) (console ported crap)
    Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 (ubisoft crap)
    Trine (got bored)
    The Void (got bored)
    Deus ex (got bored)
    Deus ex IW (got bored)

...and that's just the ones I can see in my steam list or in front of me!

Of course there's plenty I *have* finished the SP campaigns of - but mostly my friends and I play multiplayer BF2, CoH, Civilization V....

...as far as Fatshark's research goes, they've summed up my friends and I entirely.

What we DO want is decent co-op campaigns.....that can make all the difference. Co-op oblivion/fallout? We'd still be playing them now....

10. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

I guess I'm not that social a player, I prefer single player games as I've encountered annoying "l33t" players before which has ruined the multiplayer experience for me.

As a result I don't bother buying games with a multiplayer bias - reviews often state the sp side is weak. The battlefield series springs to mind.

So there you go developers, thats at least 1 missed sale through neglecting people like me, how many can you afford?

11. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Going back to my youth I rarely finished them but these days I do (unless it's crap).

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

To be fair, THC, there are genres of games that really don't suit single-player action....you can hardly punish the developer for having a vision for a game, and that working towards that vision. Large-scale/epic battles with just a solo player and an army of NPCs and some bad A.I. just don't work as well as a huge battlefield full of real players.

It's a little unfair to write-off all multiplayer experiences, too, considering a game like Civilization attracts an entirely different audience to CODBLOPS etc.

They may have missed your sale, but they've likely gained mine....and as a multplayer gamer, I'll be encouraging my friends to purchase too. Maybe they lost yours and gained myself and 3 friends? They can probably afford to do that quite easily....

13. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Quite true... SP games which go as a story are much more interesting to finish. eg: portal, hl2 etc... On the other hand a game like Diablo2..i remember ...at one point became so difficult, just couldnt defeat the boss..thats when i looked upon a few cheats and the excitement ended...

14. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

If its FUN I finish them.

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Is it perhaps due to the apparently limited attention span that some people have today? Probably as a result of being weaned on MTV and endless reapeats on TV.
    I usually play a game until I finish it, if a new one comes along I might give it a brief try to make sure it loads okay then go back an finish the one I'm on. The only game I've played in recent years that I couldn't finish was Portal Prelude and that was because I couldn't finish the last puzzle. I had a pretty good idea what to do but just couldn't manage it.

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Do they mean 100% finished including all the crappy achievements these days, or just finish the storyline? Because I know for damn sure I haven't 100%'d an SP game in a long time.

17. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

No, I don't think so.

I'm 32 - my attention span is just fine, in fact, I've been sat in front of Civ V since 5am this morning breaking only to goto the bathroom, make brews, comment on here etc.

Much of the time it has a lot to do with wanting to play games online/LAN with friends - and SP doesn't offer that.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I have a lot of games going back years that I still haven't completed (quite a few I haven't even started).
    I give up on games when it gets to a point where i'm dying/reloading more than i'm progressing and I lose the will to carry on. But decent story lead games I tend to complete.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC is the game I have installed at the moment i'm really stuggling to get on with. I just can't get into it.

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Put me on the list of people who usually don't finish the singleplayer-campaigns, especially when we're talking about FPS-games or RTS-games.

The only game where I've finished the singleplayer mode in the last 10 years is Borderlands, while the rest of them I only play the multiplayer-stuff and use the singleplayer only for getting to know the game and some training.

Playing games alone is probably the most boring thing I can think of. When I'm bored I don't grab a game where there's a singleplayer campaign but usually something more casual, like racing a few laps in GT5, playing some SoulCalibur or fraggin some stuff in UT3-quickmatch.

First and foremost I play MMORPGs as playing with others simply is way more fun then playing alone and there's allways someone to play with in MMORPGs, even when my buddies aren't online.

20. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Yeah... I always want to, but often get distracted and forget to go back to them or start a new game before I've finished the last even if I LOVED the game . In fact this post has inspired me to go back and finish up some games that asap because its just silly really. I took a planned break from the Witcher 2 but many games I just forgot I was playing (BFBC2 is a good example, I was having a blast too)

MP, modding (games) and the Steam sales are all factors here I guess. Need to have a rule to always finish (good) SP games and never have more then 2 on the go at once, I guess.

Tags: Add Tags