1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 File History backup feature detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Looks good, as at the moment my backup is always out of date.

3. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

Still not enough for me to even think about upgrading to W8.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

So.. Akin to "Previous versions" on their server environment?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Basically, yeah. You can also get the same basic functionality on other platforms using Dropbox - although you can only back up as many files as the amount of free space you've got, or pay for a Pro account.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Between this and Storage Spaces (the built-in multi-drive dynamic RAID type set-up thingy) Win 8 is looking very tasty for effective file management and backup.

I'm still wary about Metro, even though I haven't used it. Definitely a try before you buy product.

7. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

About bloody time!

I've always been a Windows man, but as for mentioned i did the ACMT course a few months ago (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician). We did a whole module on the function of TIme Machine and the File Volt encryption and i though, **** me this is good Microsoft need to get their **** together..

8. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

9. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Pretty much everything important on my pc is in those folders. Maybe they'll add functionality for the whole drive at some point (hopefully :))

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Actually, you can tell File History to track any drive or folder you want - it clearly says so in the blog post linked to from the article.

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Entire disk backup wouldn't be possible with a system like this. A weekly snapshot maybe, but constantly monitoring every single file for change, and then saving a copy if that change whilst keeping originals would take up a hell of allot of space!

12. Gareth Halfacree

One word: diffs. (One expansion: differential backups.)

13. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Thanks, after reading the blog post I can see the reasoning behind Microsoft not letting users backup the whole drive. I was just worried, after reading the Arstechnica piece, that in the case of hard-drive failure it might be harder to get a working system on a new drive (which it is to a slight degree).

They've traded a few steps in the recovery process against a saving in hard-drive space and being able to reinstall the OS from scratch without the problem-causing system settings/apps. I think I'll still stick to my backup program, but I think this will be worth experimenting with when I get Windows 8.

14. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Sounds good, keep it coming MS.

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

I use SpiderOak for important changing documents. Not only am I backing up my files via an automated means, but I'm also sharing them across multiple computers.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But most people don't need a system that keeps every single version of every single file - no matter what.

Having twenty different backed up versions of a document you worked on for one day a year ago is probably overkill for most people.

17. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This all sounds very very familiar. Maybe because it's unlike any backup system Microsoft has given us for the home before, and almost identical to Apple's 5 yo Time Machine.

But why limit the locations backed up? (Hopefully these are the just the automatic settings and can be overridden).

And how much control is there over it's behaviour to keep every single version of every single file? Surely like Apple they will provide some mechanism to assign higher priority to more recent versions?

And can this be used during a system restore? Can you install windows and at the time of install point it at your backup disk and get all your PC back? Settings and all?

18. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Useless with no option to easily define what places I want to take backups of. Any good backup program should allow the user to say they want to back up any location to any other location. Any "backup" service that does not do this is a joke.

19. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I think this would explode with my 13 TB of media

20. cornelius1729

cornelius1729 What's a Dremel?

File History isn't suitable for the whole disk. Files in media collections are unlikely to change, so a straightforward backup makes more sense than something that tracks changes. Similarly, many of the operating system and program files won't change. (Config setting might, but DLLs won't.)

Also, you may want to forget some files. Do you really want that goat pr0n movie you donwloaded on the sly tracked forever?

Tags: Add Tags