1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer Science degree advice..

Discussion in 'Software' started by si93, 1 Nov 2011.

1. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

With a presumption that a lot of the main contributors in this forum are active in the computer industry as a career rather than recreational, and more specific, active in the software engineering realm, I was wondering, from either personal experience or related relevant articles, how you guy's rate a degree in Computer Science? Is this a wise choice in terms of a respected route into computing and also have you any experience in how it fairs for post-grad job prospects? The other degree I've been looking at is Electrical Engineering.

Any input or advice would appreciated.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

a computer science degree is all well and good, but you can't beat practical experience.

computer science degree courses tend to be a little behind, especially in the uk

if you can, whilst doing the degree, see if you can gain some work experience somewhere

look here microsoft careers

Carrie likes this.
  3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

I don't have a computer science degree, but as a recent graduate I can tell you that, regardless of degree subject, make sure you get a 2.1 or above or you will find it difficult to get accepted on many graduate schemes. Employers are using that along with 300 UCAS points as minimum entry requirements to get onto their graduate schemes, so if you dont meet those benchmarks they just wont even let you apply to many of their schemes.

I think its because of the terrible job market at the minute, and the increasing number of graduates every year = high entry requirements. I would also say make sure you get some industrial work experience while completing your degree - you basically need things on your CV to separate yourself from others.

I know you wanted more specific computer related advice but just thought id let you know that too.

4. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

Interesting you say that as I've taken a year out to do just that - I've just secured a placement with IBM for a few months starting in March which hopefully will give me a true insight and a slight headstart. But thanks, I'll check out the link.

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Hi,

I'm doing a Computer Science degree and I agree that nothing beats work experience. I have completed 2 years of the course and I am currently on a Placement year. I learnt a lot technically from the 2 years I've completed, but since the start of my placement I have gained an immense amount of experience in other areas, whereas with just the degree on it's own I would not have.

Getting a placement is dependent on how well you do in your first year, (that was the case at my uni) so you should aim to get a first class mark if you want to ensure you benefit from such an experience. The placement will allow you to put into practice your technical knowledge and give you an idea of how your skills would help you cope in real world scenarios and how you could improve/adapt for your career(s) in the future.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

My dad worked at IBM as a placement before he went to uni - based on how well he did on his placement they gave him a job straight out of uni - that was 30 odd years ago, but since then he has gone on to do some great things, so that's a tremendous start!

7. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

I've said about it a few times on here now: Go for an 'Applied' course!!!

A comp sci degree qualification is definitely worth it, and with a year in industry you'll gain a massive edge on a course only grad.

I got up to a senior Developer role at 25 (last year) so I can honestly say its worked lovely for me :) and trust me when I say you'll work alot harder in your last year in uni after having a year in an office!

Oh and as for the other degree choices, I faced a similar choice when I was looking, with the comp/Electronics background. I ended up going for something that covered both with 'Applied computer science and cybernetics' at Reading. Worth checking out, Seemed to have a bit more to get stuck into than the straight comp sci course :)

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

In North America, you have 2x Computer Science degree. One in College as a technical course (this gets you nowhere other than an assistant programmer... if you get a job in software dev. Usually you get a job in IT.) And then you have the university degree which can lead you far.

If you know programming and have personal experience (personal project completed or in the works), I strongly suggest to go at the university career fair with a well build resume to apply for either internship (summer/winter job), or part time job. The benefit of having a part time job, is that you can turn it into full time, which the company will take you with open arms (as you have been working for a while now, and already trained, and now how everything works, and they know how you work and like you), meaning an easy in passage in the work force.

Computers move really fast in the industry, education is always behind. Example, probably, beside barely touching that topic, you will most likely not touch interface design, or even multi-threading, or making software for multiple core CPU's, until the last of your courses, IF you even take or have these courses.

In Computer science (and well soft Eng), grades don't mater. Well you need to pass your courses, obviously, and sustain, at least, the university bare minimum GPA to stay in the program as well. But unless you are going in math heavy field or research, usually they don't ask you for your transcript. Transcript request normally stops at your first job. What I mean, is that they are SOME companies (not all), who will ask you for your transcript when you apply for an internship, or part time job, for your first job. Later on, especially after 1 year of experience, no one cares.
    HOWEVER, it doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum.. as your knowledge in many courses, which will be required, will reflect on how your work in the field. If your programming skill, problem solving, and optimization is poor, then you won't get far.

Usually Universities has options within Computer Science, like gaming, software system, computer system, web development, and so on..
    It doesn't mater which option you go, no one cares at all. BUT, taking stuff like web development, is shooting yourself on the foot, unless that is what interest you, but it will be hard to get a job these days, unless you are exceptional in the field. (they are too much web dev)

Be sure to know the following programming languages (you don't have to get a univeristy course on them... self thought is all you need)
    -> C/C++
    -> C#
    -> Java

Other programming languages are a plus in your résumé, unless they specifically looking for someone who knows a programming language.

Also know: Use and implement a database, and know virtual environment like Visual Studio, NetBeans and Eclipse is a plus to show in your Résumé.

Again, personal project is important if you have no work experience. It's to show the company that you know your stuff. Doing a calculator application doesn't count. You need something a lot more fancy, like a game 2D or 3D doesn't mater. Either show your creative ideas, problem solving skill, or object Oriented. Using in it, or saying in your Résumé (of course must be true) OpenGL and/or DirectX also helps in getting interested.

For me, I put on my Résumé the software on my signature, which I explained better at the career fair. And at the interview, I brought my laptop, and ask him, if there is a time at the end, to show him my currently working software... which is far more complex one. The interviewer was impressed, and I got the job.

If you don't have a personal project to show, then high grades will help you in such case.

9. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

Get your Microsoft tickets, costs a fortune. But thats pretty much what an employer cares about.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

As someone that is directly involved in hiring programmers, my experience is that some guys I interviewed have just about every paper possible, but you ask them a "real life" question, and they have no idea.

Comp Sci degrees (I never studied comp sci, I studied for 1 year, full time - as in 6 hours a day - Software dev, which was back then an MCSD with a few bells and whistles) are very theoretical, and based on a perfect world where everyone codes to the same tune. In real life, the bits they don't teach you catch you out: Sloppy code, a coder that thought something horrible was a good idea nd built an entire system around it (example: LINQ for DB queries), etc.

Practical work is WAY more important than a degree to me, and as someone that doesn't have a degree, I reckon I did fairly well:
    Studies/IT job at 18,
    Web developer at 20,
    Analyst/programmer (Bank) at 22,
    Senior Analyst/Programmer (Bank) at 24,
    Manager: Software Development (top ranked global audit firm) at 25

11. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys for all your input, it's given me a great insight and a lot to think about, really appreciate it.

12. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

I've done two years of my Computer Science degree and am currently doing my placement at CERN.

In the 3 months i've been working here i've learned so much i hadn't covered at uni so i highly recommend getting a placement year.

13. lwills

lwills What's a Dremel?

CERN you say? Grats dude, Nicely done :D me thinks you'll go very far with that on your CV!

14. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Congrats on the placement, I work at IBM and joined just under 2 years ago as a graduate out of University!

My best advice while on placement is to demonstrate your value to your boss, and work your butt off.

I have quite a few colleagues who have gotten through the arduous application process due to keeping in contact with their old bosses (who have naturally risen to higher positions), who have in turn put in a good word for them when they came back as grads.

Do you know where you will be working in IBM? Location & Business area?

In regards to your main question:

I did a degree in Computer Network Engineering at Sheffield Hallam, and I found this actually elevated me above Comp Sci grads as I had more hands-on practical experience.

I know that Sheffield Hallam also does a degree in IT Consulting, but I'm not sure of the quality of it.

At the end of the day, most employers for graduates are interested in the management of your schedule and independent working aspects of your course more than the actual content (although don't take this as a cover-all statement, but it is certainly the case with IBM).

Whatever you do, I agree with statements made in this thread, getting a 2:1+ should be your priority as this will MASSIVELY effect your future.

Good luck with the placement, and if you have any questions about IBM, ping me on here for my IBM e-mail address or find me internally:

Tommy Giovannelli.

15. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

Yes, a recurrent theme when I've been searching for advice has been the importance of impressing when on the placement - something I'll be striving to do as a number one priority.

I'm actually yet to find out exactly where they're placing me but I'll update you when I know. I've been very fortunate in that I too know someone who works for IBM (seemingly the only way to get work experience these days bearing mind this is pre-grad stuff)

Which area do you work in? I assume you work in the London branch? I happened to be walking over Waterloo bridge the other week where I stumbled across the IBM buildings. Interesting choice of architecture that's for sure. Is it just me or does it look uncannily like some kind of high security compound?!

I handed my ucas application in last Friday and I'm applying for Comp Sci at Bath, York, Surrey, Loughborough and Nottingham so exciting stuff and the waiting game begins. I went for the Comp Sci degree as I'm still not really sure what area of computing I want to go into and it seemed to offer a good foundation of skills, especially as software engineering is a primary interest.

2:1 degree - check

Anyway, thanks again, really helpful..

16. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

I'm currently on a placement year as a part of my Computer Science degree and I would definitely suggest doing one with a placement year. Generally speaking, employment rates on graduates with a 2.1 or higher in Computer Science (in England) see about a 90% employment rate, so it's not the worst degree to go for. However, having that year in industry gives you one hell of a competitive edge and it's definitely worth going for. Do your research, and really try to get a year's industry experience.

And maybe if you're lucky (like me) you could also bag yourself a nice fat scholarship for the year in industry too :D.

As has also been pointed out, getting your MCP certs is also a great idea (and well-priced too, generally it's $150 per exam, definitely worth it), and in a more limited scope the CCNA isn't a bad idea (although that's only relevant for networking-type stuff).

Last edited: 8 Nov 2011
  17. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

We don't own the South Bank office, we lease it. Hence it looks like it could stand a nuclear blast!

I am an IT Consultant in Application Innovation Services, so I strictly have no base. But my home location is South Bank, but I work wherever the project/client is for normally 6months to a year. I was previously in Portsmouth, and I now work in another location just outside of London.

An IT Consultant is a kind of catch all role which (I have found) is in one of the better parts of the company (AIS) both in terms of promotions, and opportunities.

Basically they push you towards one day being a Partner (someone who wins bids, and manages millions of dollars worth of trade in the form of clients) but you can go whichever direction you want.

I myself want a more technical career, and am doing a J2EE developer role at the moment, with an end goal of being a Chief IT Architect.

If you have any other queries about IBM, a career in IT, or a technical degree, feel free to fire away!

18. joydisuza

joydisuza What's a Dremel?

Computer Science degree is well for student who want to get job in industrial standard company or Government Agencies but if any one can have sufficient knowledge about computer software then he/she should start their own work

19. joydisuza

joydisuza What's a Dremel?

Computer science degree is well for student who want get job in industrial standard company or government Agencies but he/she can't ignore practical knowledge of computer science. if you have not degree but steel you have knowledge about computer software then you can start your own work.

20. si93

si93 What's a Dremel?

Just thought I'd update all you guys, and again ask for some more advice, I now have offers from Nottingham, Bath, York, Loughborough and Surrey so was wondering if you guys had any advice on which I should go for? Stats wise Bath and York clearly stand out but I've heard great things about Nottingham for comp sci and Surrey has great industry links, which, as highlighted above, could prove very fruitful for placements. Really unsure what to go for..