1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Moto G still the one to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by David, 23 Feb 2014.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I need a new phone, and I'm after a bigger screen, so I'm going android. I'm also looking to buy a sim free phone.

I'm not a heavy user - my iphone 4 battery lasts about 4 to 5 days (I turn off mobile data when I don't need it) - but I want the power and capability on occasion.

I don't care about the camera - as long as it can take the occasional photo, it'll do.

Given all of the above, is the Moto G still the best value phone around the £150 limit?

I'd be interested to know what Moto G users think of theirs and their opinion of battery life.

Thanks

G0UDG likes this.
  2. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have the 16GB Moto G and it's brilliant for the price. The only issue I have is the storage space, but my last phone had 64GB so that's not really surprising.

As for battery life, I am a reasonably heavy user and I get 36 hours from it consistently.

I don't think you will be disappointed, especially for the cost.

3. David

Thanks for that, I've just nipped out and bought one; on a contract no less.

£12.50 a month for two years - 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500 data. Pretty much perfect for my needs.

4. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I picked up a nexus 5 from carphone warehouse for £240 sim free.

5. David

nice

6. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

Yeah it is imo. Good choice :)

7. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

It looks very good phone to me. I was going to buy my 15 yr old daughter one, but she turned her nose up because it wasn't an iPhone 5S :rolleyes:

I told her she'll just have to make do with her Blackberry then, much to her dismay :hehe:

8. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

Moto g owner here, very impressed with the speed and overall snapiness of the interface, aswell as the battery life. You miss out on a few of the features of a more expensive phone like no sd card slot and no nfc, and the camera quality is ok but not great. I found a good cover for it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GY6X9RK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which fits it nicely and comes with a screen protector, although with it having the gorilla glass I decided to not bother with the screen protector.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Its a nice smartphone in the price bracket. It's basically the sub £150 king.

Younger generation does not even know who Motorola is these days could have something to do with that yehbaby.

You can get her a iphone 4 or 4s free on some pretty cheap contracts if she's already on a contract phone.

10. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

GiffGaff would have given you unlimited data and texts and 250 minutes for £12
    http://giffgaff.com/goodybags/12pound-goodybag

I love my Moto G. A real game changer in the budget smart phone arena.
    And it comes with Kit Kat

11. David

£12.50 a month includes the phone itself - no upfront handset cost. Giffgaff is SIM only isn't it?

12. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I think his £12 includes the handset as well, but yes personally I think the best deal you can get at the moment is a Moto G with a £12 sim only unlimited data contract. As far as I know it's only GiffGaff and Three that offer these with genuinely unlimited data, though I'd love to hear that there are some more. Of the two I prefer Three, as GiffGaff does have some odd T&Cs.

My girlfriend got her Moto G the other day, it's really nice. Basically my S3 with better battery life and a whole lot cheaper. Oh, and it's running stock Kitkat. Jealous.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Yeah, SIM only.
    Tesco Moto G Unlocked for £1.99 from Ebay.handset cost £99
    Also, unlimited data.