1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Flat ATX case, ideally Mil Spec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jumeira_Johnny, 10 Jun 2014.

1. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

So while I wait for a few details of my life to sort themselves out, I have some time to plan my PC.

I was looking at the Haf XB due to it accepting an ATX board and lying it flat. I shift house often and want a case where the main weight of the system (cards, water or big air cooling) wasn't hanging off the main board.

And then my mind wandered and took a look at Mil Spec cases, which are all rack mount. 6 and 8-U being common. There is also 4-U, although it looks a bit tight for a two 240 rad setup. There is also the issue of the power supplies, IIRC the rack mounts need a different PSU then a standard case.

Anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions for a case that can meet the needs of a modern system, and still be fairly rugged? I am open to modding, but would ideally start with a sturdy consumer case.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  2. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I know this isn't a flat case, but why not just go for the Corsair C70?

3. Jumeira_Johnny

Because it's not flat. And it can't be flipped onto it's side. There is also the matter of the plexi window, which I have never really been keen on.

I just found this, which looks to have acres of room. Granted, it's heavy. But with the drive cages removed, I see room for a 240 and 360 rads. Then it's just a matter of modding the front USB 2.0 to 3.0. It would give me the expansion for dual graphics, a Thunderbolt card and an m.2 SSD. And it does use a standard PSU.

Hit it with a coat of coyote or OD, and we're in business.

Still, I'm hoping for something more like the Coolermaster with 20% more room. It's a shame that all of Lian-li's cubes are using a vertical MB tray.

4. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Wait, so... what are your requirements exactly?

ATX Board
    Desktop-style
    Must fit 240' rad?
    Length of card?
    Budget?

Can't you just take a Corsair Air 540 and lie it on its side? Might want to stick some feet on the 'right side' that would form the bottom.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

While I do like the Corsair Obsidian cases, turning a case on it's side is a rather inelegant solution. Before I do that, I'll weld up a desk frame, paint it glossy red and install the system there with a glass top from Ikea. Which is starting to look like a rather good idea.