1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows endless junk mail

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ozzie, 27 Jul 2015.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Fork 'andles I wanted

Hi all, I am using win7 with thunderbird for my email. 95% of my inbox is filled with spam on a daily basis. It is marked as such with the orange ball icon but will not go to my junk folder automatically.

I can delete it but would prefer it to go to the junk folder in order that I can check it as it sometimes marks mail incorrectly. All settings appear to be right but it just stays in my inbox and the junk folder remains empty.

2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Might be worth spending 20 mins here and there unsubscribing to the spam, usually have links at the very bottom, I don't get a lot of spam now

3. Ozzie

Had not thought of that but it should work anyway without me having to do that. Oddly enough it marked your reply as junk for some reason.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I get that alot, even when I talk :(

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Who is your email provider?
    Have you checked the settings server side, not just on the client.

6. Ozzie

TalkTalk is the provider. I do not understand what you mean by the server side.

7. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If you log in to the account online (talktalk webmail) and mark things as spam there it may help.

However, I'd seriously consider migrating to a mail service that isn't tied to your ISP.

8. Ozzie

That is what I did but it did not work. If I reinstal it does it have to go throuh the learning proccess from scratch.

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

only click the unsubscribe link on emails sent from trusted websites, never from random spam, as all this does is confirm an active email address, and can result in more spam being sent

you can add only a limited number of spam addresses to your built in spam filter on your email package, usually around 1000-1500, before they get ignored.

you can sign up to more advanced spam filters, but they do cost money.

best thing to do is have an email address to sign up for things, and one for family & friends, and maybe a separate one for business use.

10. Ozzie

Most of this junk something like a 100 a day is coming from Tamll.com via Opaltelecom.net.

Googling shows a lot of others have the same problem but no one seems to have a suggestion for stopping it that I can find.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm currently testing Spamfighter will let you know what I think an a day or 2

12. Ozzie

Thanks.

13. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Try Yahoo mail, you can use their address guard feature to create numerous e-mail addresses. I make one for every online company and site I deal with and If I get serious levels of spam from one particular address I just delete it. This way I never tell anyone the actual account e-mail address so never get spam on it.

14. scimmy

scimmy Minimodder

A quick google of tamll.com shows up with a lot of chat on the talktalk forum about members getting spammed

15. Ozzie

Stopped I believe but now reincarnating as @tmall.com

16. Ozzie

hardly any spam at all now, so how am I going to sue banks that don't owe me any money in first place or get free solar panels that will give me all the power I need and sell the rest back to the grid thanks to government rules. Nor can I get a credit card that I did not want anyway or even a personal loan at 1000 % interest. If that is not bad enough in itself I am no longer offered private Jet hire or £20,000 cash imediately nor have I won a lottery that I never entered. Sad I know but one must soldier on:)

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

spamkiller sort of worked, but installed all sorts to try and get you to buy all their other products, so has been removed

18. Ozzie

My apologies, I thought I had posted this but clearly not. I reinstalled ThunderBird and it now works as it should, still loads of spam from same origin but now goes strait into junk folder.

Thanks to all for your advice.