1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Yamaha Nas mod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rampageblack, 13 Feb 2017.

1. rampageblack

rampageblack What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!

I want to introduce you my latest mod. Back in august Asrock and Qnap asked me if I want to make a mod for them. It wasnt a hard choice and I accepted it. There is a 3rd sponsor in the build who joined later but had a big impact on the theme. This sponso is the Yamaha. I've got free hand in the mod there was only one rule which is the color scheme(blue, black, white). My opinion about the build is to mod the nas, but not too much and keep the key features. I'll change everything in the inside of the nas and install "normal" pc hardware. After this I chosed the nas which is the QNAP TS-EC1080Pro. This is big enough to stand out, and to house a pc.

I recieved the big box in september.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Inside of the box there are lots of foam, which protects the nas very well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I removed the foam I saw this amaizing nas, in person it looks nicer than on the photos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is 10 drive bays and every bay got a locking mechanis to not open the slot accidentally.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every slot has 3,5" and 2.5" mounts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I removed the side panel which is in one peace and hold by 6 screws. Its made out of 0,5mm steel.

[​IMG]

After I removed the side panel I can finally see inside, which is quite big as I expected. on the top there is space for on internal ssd or hdd where you can install the os.

[​IMG]

On the back there is space for 2 120mm fans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Removing the front panel is a bit challenging, it held on by plastic hinges.

[​IMG]

After the disassembly I could start the modding. First was the new case feet, which is similar to the original but taller.

[​IMG]

I made a new back panel to hold the itx mobo, fan and the sfx psu. Its made out of 2mm aluminium and I cut it with laser.

[​IMG]

I also made the logos out of aluminium and also out of acrylic. These logos will have backlight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made a test fit after it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got the new mobo for the project. Its the Asrock Z170M-ITX/ac. This will be perfect for this purpose because it has dual gigabit ethernet and wifi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made the mobo tray out of 2mm aluminium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To install the backplate and mobo tray I had to cut out the back of the nas. This means I can assemble the pc completely outside of the case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the mobo and it fits perfectly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last I installed the side panels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I recieve the missing parts I'll countinue the log.

Tags: