1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft patents seriously bad adware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Jul 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. RTT

RTT #parp

That's insane. I could understand it if they did this to people using non-genuine copies, or offered windows for free if yuo want to have this adware crap, but if they're going to force that on normal, genuine installations, then that's a huge mistake. I hope they're just patenting it to stop other adware companies doing it :D

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've suspected this for a while, ever since I saw Microsoft advertising for advertisers. Basically it was saying that they wanted to advertise inside peoples homes.

Originally I thought it was just MSN/Live stuff. But no I think different. I'll try and find a picture of the original advert

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

If this did happen, especially to paying customers, then all it would do is drive people to illegal cracked "non snooping" Windows Software. So wouldn't be a good move for Microsoft. On the other hand, if it was targeted as a free windows release with marketing bumf then that seems to be fair enough.

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

if this happens I will move to linux faster than you can say "built-in adware no thanks"

6. shaq

shaq What's a Dremel?

Why wait? :D

7. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

As much as I am for supporting legitimate, officially purchased software, hearing about something like this means I'm only going to be more for pirating a futures version of M$ software that's been "fixed" rather than give them my money for service-hogging adware.

/sigh

Last edited: 18 Jul 2007
  8. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing!! :hehe:

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i think i will wait for MS's response..... there is no way they are doing this without loosing lots of customers....

edit: i think this is a strategic time to make a OS making company....

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Just because it's a patent doesn't mean it's going to happen. Perhaps it will be used for a low cost version of Windows for developing countries? Stil perhaps not the best way forward.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

QFT.
    Though is MS REALLY that nice to consumers?

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I was thinking of actually buying Vista Premium as its only £65 OEM. Now I dont think so, as im playing less on Pc now as I cant afford to keep up.

I think a OS swap will be ideal for me if my vid editing programs and paint shop pro work on another Os, then ill swap as thats all I do now on PC and shop.

13. BlueDemon

BlueDemon What's a Dremel?

I am truly amazed that anyone is surprised by this latest move towards a complete erosion of privacy and a total blanketing by advertising. It is perfectly in line with the course that MS have been sailing the last decade, helped along by unsuspecting people who blindly use their "user-friendly" aka tracker-friendly Passport login for just about every web-related activity. Has there been ANY inquiry as to what MS does right now with the data they gather from monitoring Passport/MSN activity?
    This new scheme to mass-harvest private data is simply the next logical step. Maybe it's time to shop around for a nice Linux distro...

14. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

Yay for XP/2000 :lol:

15. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Simple I can't be bothered to learn Linux atm. But if MS pulls a stunt like that I will find a whole new reserve of motivation to change.

16. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

The reason Linux doesn't need to advertise is that MS does it for them! Long live the penguin! :thumb:

17. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Well, time to switch to Mac :D

18. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

nha, that will never happen... I'm actually glad that MS patent this idea, and not some spam maker company.
    I remember MS also registered a patent of a TV with a camera on it that looks if the user eyes are actually watching the advertisement, else the ad will repeat. Moreover, it will ask several questions about each at, at the end of them. If the user answer wrong, the ad will repeat.

Up to now, I don't see them making TV's...

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ditto...

i play games less n less... i dont see any other solid reason to keep me with M$. i kno its only a patent, i dunno what they'r doing with it, but if they (if ever) decided to implement such feature (i cant find any other non-profanity word) in Vista which i paid $200 for......

...well lets just say i have to come out of my retirement n back to my ****** group in IRC....

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

thank god I happen to like xp. but I still have to wonder how hard it is to do a dual boot with linux.

Tags: Add Tags