1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rage PC will include level editor

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 May 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I love the fact that the character in the pictures seems to have a union jack on his chest.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

4. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Can't soddin' wait!

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm not that excited about Rage itself, but it's really heartening to see that iD haven't lost their way and are still functioning the way they did back in the Doom/Quake days. This means that nostalgia and the loyalty it inspires will probably make me excited for Rage as we get closer to its release.

This also means we're less likely to see moronic, overpriced level packs DLC like we get from other devs..

6. Malfrex

Malfrex What's a Dremel?

If previous work of the mod community is anything to go by, I think id are misjudging them. It might take them a little longer than something like Source or Unreal, but if they're able to build the game using the tools the community will figure them out and probably end up writing the documentation on how to use it, should other studios decide to use it.

7. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

I wonder if the modders are going to take that as a challenge. I know I would.

8. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

And thats a bad thing?

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Great news, any game that comes with a level editor/creator is a +1 instantly.

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Over-hyped, over-developed, under-inspired lemon.

11. ajfsound

ajfsound Minimodder

'id studio'? As long as 'idkfa' works I'm happy ;-)

12. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

As a level designer that uses many engines, your right, I do take it as a challenge and will probably dive into it just because (IF Rage is any good, that is!)

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I take serious issue with this!

But then I still maintain that Doom 3 was an excellent game, so my opinion is probably void.

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

You're not the only one, I loved Doom 3. It was a seriously slick game and dripping with iD's pedigree, but I think the weak story and their level-design nods to the older Doom games just made for an experience that couldn't live up to its major rival (HL2) at the time so it was inevitably bound to be overshadowed.

15. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

So? with proper editing possibilities included we already have the first step to countless hours of multiplayer fun, now they just have to allow proper controls, dedicated servers and the rest of the stuff PC Gamers expect and the game will be a success.

16. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

A number of the promotional videos so far have shown keyboard&mouse play and I'd be shocked if iD didn't supply a dedicated server system for gamers. :)

17. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

My immediate thought was 'Borderlands', but when I saw the detonating RC car...

Does every game have to copy every COD gimmick there is? Rise above it and make better stuff, not copy irritating features. If it's only in single player (or is only single player) then fine, but if I start seeing hundreds of RC cars blowing up in multiplayer, then I'm out. I had enough of annoying no-skill killstreaks.

18. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I think Rage has been in production since before the time of Black Ops.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Doom 3 was probably the scariest game ever. Especially when played with Fresnel lens and body vibration. The game was also quite boring after a while and I never completed it. The original Doom held my interest much longer.

When a game company takes so long to make a game then I lose interest. On the rare times ID release a new piece of information about the game I think to myself "too little, too late".

I seem to remember STALKER taking forever as well. When it finally did arrive it was interesting to some extent but not interesting enough for me to play very far.

Rage will be a flop I suspect. Who cares about level editing on the Rage engine? Unreal 3 latest SDK is far more advanced and readily available without waiting another 5 or 10 years.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

And you know that how exactly ?

Tags: Add Tags