1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Colossus Mini-ITX Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 9 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

The lighting is in need of a mod!

[​IMG]

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Decent case, stupid name. They should have called it the BitFenix Runt.

4. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

OMG awesome, and just what the market needs - ANOTHER massive mATX case marketed as an m-ITX enclosure!! I mean seriously, this is brilliant - now all I need is a CM Cosmos II to house my NUC and we'll be all set...

5. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Cracking sarcasm, well done. Seems to suit the rest of your posts on this site. (Note my own sarcasm there?)

BitFenix have made some good improvements to a very popular form factor right now. I'm looking towards downsizing and will be considering this case. Shame about the colour options with the lighting though.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think it's a shame that there aren't any images of the case running in a darker room so we can see what the light actually looks like.

What a messy system in the image with the 570GTX on the last page. No wonder there is no window. :)

Overall I think it is another good case from BitFenix but it doesn't tick all the boxes for me still and if I had to choose any I think I would still go for the Prodigy. With all the custom panels available for the Prodigy, BitFenix should just offer for the Prodigy, a replacement top panel that is clean and smooth, along with a squared off replacement base that allows you to attach normal feet.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I totally agree. Maybe the Prodigy II could be more modular, with BitFenix producing various alternative sections. Maybe next time we'll get a white mesh front panel option :nono:

8. SchizoFrog

I also can't help but feel that the cooling could have been helped by using a much larger front intake fan. All that mesh and nothing using the space.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The images are actually cut-outs of 1/6sec exposures in a dimly lit room so fairly indicative of what you can expect. Of course, it will be brighter and more vivid if the room was pitch black but that's just bad for your eyes ;)

Sorry about the messy system but there really is very little space to otherwise hide the cables but that's pretty standard with cases this size. I still think there's room for both the Phenom and Colossus along side the Prodigy as there have been some useful refinements, but tbh, in re-engineering the side and top sections you may as well tweak the chassis while you're there and offer a new and attention-grabbing product. The replacement side panels and front sections are pretty easy to do, but as they could see easy ways to improve the case as well, it makes sense to offer a whole new product.

At this end of the market, you're far more likely to find vacant fan mounts unfortunately, but at least the option of using a larger fan is there.

10. SchizoFrog

If is not just a shell cover for the top and bottom sections then I agree... Here's hoping to a Prodigy II that ticks all the right boxes... For me at least any way.

11. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Corsair 250d cooling performance? Thought you were reviewing the bitfenix

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Says it all really.

13. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Can that optical drive bay be removed (drilling out rivets) to allow deeper radiators?

14. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The top section again offers space for a double 120mm radiator if you're prepared to sacrifice the 5.25in drive bay too, while the only other fan is a 120mm model in the rear fan mount.

I would say so :)

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

My thoughts exactly, well almost exactly.
    I thought of the song 'I'm So Ronery' from Team America when i saw that little fan against the vast expanse of mesh :D

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Too big, again. ITX should be as small as possible - so why insist on full size optical bays, and a frankly silly number of HDs? EVGA got it right by putting in a slimline optical, only two HD bays and the tiny PSU, whereas BitFenix seem to be stuck at mATX size and pretending it is ITX.

17. SchizoFrog

That is your opinion and is obviously NOT the opinion of everyone but once again the BitFenix Prodigy offers options that your compact Mini-ITX cases not only don't but can't offer. It may be silly for you but personally I do NEED more than 2 HDDs and an optical drive, although I don't care if it is full size or a discrete slimeline model.

18. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

If I were to go ITX I would have a 7990, six hard drives and god knows what else to go in it.

Why do you continually assume that people want tiny little cases when it's been shown that the Prodigy is a best seller?

19. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Pretty sure that Cei is just stating his personal opinion, and not trying to tell anyone else what they want or should have :D OTOH, if he IS trying to dictate to others what ITX must be, then he's a naughty boy!

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Why not build a µATX or ATX-based system then, if you need all these components? The µATX-boards are way better than any of the mITX-offerings.

Tags: Add Tags