1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Razor's Edge

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Iraklis Gkolios, 2 Dec 2014.

1. Iraklis Gkolios

Iraklis Gkolios Minimodder

[​IMG]

Hello Bit-tech i am back this time with a new custom made case.

This case is originally part of an other project log. I decided to split the whole project in 3 parts, because its very difficult to complete it together (i am having serious trouble assembling the CNC and i am about to move from my house to a new one, so i need to build the desk for the new home).

The case will be made from an aluminium sheet of 2mm thinkness. All the parts will be custom made and i am going to weld them when i complete the whole project. Also i decided to powder coat this case because i found a local shop with cheap prices and i am tired of the sanding and spraying process again.

The hardware of the case is still to be decided, because i dont have a tight timeframe and i dont know when i am gonna finish this project. The watercooling parts are going to be from EK-Waterblocks (we discussed a sponsorship request and they seem to agree). Ill try to make the case look like as much as i can with the Sketchup model and provide detailed work log.

Here are the Sketchup of the case.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Dec 2014
  2. Iraklis Gkolios

The first step is marking and cutting the bottom piece of the case. You can see where the PSU, HDDS, radiators and reservoirs located.
    [​IMG]
    Here is my custom made aluminum sheet bender. The whole cost of it is around 10euros. You can get some nice and easy bending with this since the 2mm aluminum sheet is impossible to bend with hands.
    [​IMG]
    The result are pretty good and they almost amazed me since i thought ill need to do more tweeking at the bender but i managed to bend correctly with the first try
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Iraklis Gkolios

Here is the finished bottom piece. I think it came out pretty well :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers Iraklis

4. Blaso

Blaso What's a Dremel?

you thought that that base can become unstable ?. You're going to make brackets or remain as it?. I think that is a good build.

PD: sorry for my poor english.

5. Iraklis Gkolios

Maybe yes maybe no. I dont worry about the stability of the build since almost all the weight of the build will be on the bottom. The psu will be mounted on the middle and bottom. So i dont think i am going to have problem with that.

Cheers
    Iraklis

6. Iraklis Gkolios

New photos of my latest progress.

I just cut the top pieces and i am ready to bend em. Its going to be a bit tricky because all the pieces must be exactly the same.
    [​IMG]

I finished bending the top pieces and i am ready for a test fit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Good start.:thumb: The design looks promising.

8. Iraklis Gkolios

Thank you !

Today i cut some aluminum profiles and tommorow ill start bolting the whole case.
    Next steps are led lightning and the motherboard part.
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

9. Blaso

Blaso What's a Dremel?

I like it, want to see more. The middle are going to make it on acrylic?. regards

10. Iraklis Gkolios

Major update.

I just assembled the case for a test fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now ill have to do a lot of sanding and smooth all the edges before the visit to TIG shop to weld the aluminum together and make it 1 piece !

Hope you like it

Cheers
    Iraklis

Last edited: 5 Dec 2014
  11. Iraklis Gkolios

Here is a small update.

This is an aluminum motherboard bracket from my old Coolermaster Cosmos S, Thank god i dont throw away nothing. I was aiming for a 10 slot bracket but danger den is out of bussiness and its really hard to find them.

[​IMG]

Thats the switch and plug i am going to use for my PSU (These are going to be on the back of the case)

[​IMG]

In this build i am going to experiment with a new kind of sleeve. Ill go full back on sleeving and all my cables will be custom made, so i am going to solder a lot on the following days ;)

Here is what i am going to use, its full black plastic and not the classic fiber weave.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

12. Iraklis Gkolios

Hello Bit-tech community.

I went for shopping today and bought some red cable and LED lights. I am planning to make acrylic polygons and light them with leds.

[​IMG]

I also bought some 1x1cm acrylic square beams. I am going to use some acrylic later in the project so its time for me to start the experiments ;)

[​IMG]

And here the whole project is starting to become difficult. I made the top ''hood'' of the case where the motherboard bracket is going to sit. The tricky part is that the case is going to be 1 piece and i need to find a way to have an easy way through the internals of the case. The work area is starting to get tight and i mustn't forget that i have to put a PSU , HDD's/SSD's and pumps under the motherboard hood. From now on i only have to make 2 radiator mounts and ill have to clean the whole case from the aluminum bits before i sent it to the TIG shop to weld the alumium and make the case 1 piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

Last edited: 10 Dec 2014
  13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

-You might want to fix that.:D

Looking great. If you are using PVC tubing for sleeve, you will find it will take only 3 22 awg wires, and maybe 2 18 gauge with force. -It should look good, though. :thumb:

14. Iraklis Gkolios

Whooops Fixed that.

Thats not the Classic pvc sleeve. Its gardening tubing for watering the plants with drops. I got a friend next to my shop that sell these things. They are super cheap like 5 euro for 50 meters and they are durable like hell. They also fit exactly 1 cable and since they are made from pvc i can easy do sleeving with out heatshrink very easily.

Cheers
    Iraklis

15. Zsolt Guriga

Zsolt Guriga What's a Dremel?

Very impressive design Iraklis,also really like the mounting position of motherboard.:thumb:

16. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

this looks pretty dam sweet. :thumb:

17. Iraklis Gkolios

Thank you and welcome to the ride :rock:

My next steps are.

1. Make the PSU holder. I am going to mount the PSU from the narrow side and in the middle of the case so i am going to need a steady base for it
    2. Make a HDD/SSD hot sway docking station for my disks.
    3. Make 2 Radiator mounts for the rads.
    4. And finish the last parts of the case before welding.

Cheers
    Iraklis

18. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Bloody hell, there are some ridiculously talented people in the world, and Iraklis is one of them! Great work so far man, subbed!

19. Iraklis Gkolios

Thank you for your kind words.

This build is very challenging for me since its my first scratch case, I am glad you like it because the design looks a bit different than the most of the cases and i wasnt sure if other people gonna like it.

Cheers
    Iraklis

20. Iraklis Gkolios

I bought a new head attachment for my Dremel 3000.
    [​IMG]

I started today cutting the motherboard 'hood' for the I/O bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step is making a motherboard back plate and finding a way to access the I/O ports from the back of the case.

Cheers
    Iraklis