1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plane crash co pilot wanted to smash the plane

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Teelzebub, 26 Mar 2015.

1. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last edited: 26 Mar 2015
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A self-centred asshole (yeah, that's a psychiatric diagnosis).

3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Sounds like he wanted to commit mass murder. That's not rational.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Beggars belief.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Suicidal tendencies because of hate of the world. And what is a better representation of a revenge against the world than killing 150 people on the plane.

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Makes me sick, especially when I read that there were children on board. What the hell was up with this guy? Surely if he was psychotic they'd have sussed him out long ago?

7. Nexxo

Depressive beliefs usually come down to "I'm worthless" and "Nobody loves me": loss/defeat and shame/humiliation. This generalises to self ("I'm crap"), life ("My life is crap") and future ("It will always be crap"). Some recent models of suicide suggest that there is a sense of entrapment in these beliefs and circumstances leading up to them, so that suicide seems one of the only escapes --the alternatives to killing yourself being killing others or just going plain crazy.

Make no mistake: it can be an act of anger and aggression as much as despair, and a communication as much as an act (suicide as a cry, but not necessarily always for help). Usually directed inwards against the self ("I can't bear to live with myself"), but also outwards against life ("life/the world can go **** itself, I'm out") and against others ("They'll be sorry when I'm gone"). Depending on the person and their circumstances, some of these elements can play a more prominent role than others. The latter suggests that drama can become an important factor: how the person commits suicide and what it communicates.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's what i have problems getting my head around, I mean what the hell was he hoping to achieve or what message did he want to communicate that he thought taking 150 people with him was a suitable means to send that message.

9. Nexxo

You're approaching this rationally. He wasn't being rational. He wasn't hoping to achieve anything or to send a particular message (except perhaps "**** you all"). He was just lashing out.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Damn, droppin' some science on us! :lol:

Lufthansa and their subsidiaries, really need to reconsider their cockpit rules - just about everyone else has a two person minimum. I'm not suggesting it would've prevented him doing what he did - there's nothing to stop him killing a steward before crashing the plane - but I imagine killing someone like that is much more difficult to contemplate than just isolating yourself in the cabin and pointing the aircraft at a mountain.

11. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

After 9/11 the dead lock door switch makes hammering the door down hard but you would thought there be a remote overide . From paper this morn cabin crew have code but a 20 min lock out can be used from cabin don't make a lot of sence in this circumstance

12. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Am I right in thinking that the "Drones" that fly over Iraq/Afghanistan are controlled by pilots sitting in a control room thousands of miles away?

Surely then a system can be implemented that can seize control of an aircraft (locking all flight controls) and land the plane at the nearest possible airport. Sod the cost, it needs to happen.

13. Nexxo

Those drones appear to fly on unencrypted signal. Would you like a terrorist to be able to hijack a plane from the comfort of their computer chair?

I know, I know, encryption can be implemented. But I still think that every anti-terrorism measure that has been implemented seems to introduce new exploits into the system rather than removing them.

14. megamale

megamale Minimodder

There is a point somewhere where we need to accept that a determined "key" person (a pilot in this case) would ultimately be able to bring down a plane. In your solution, a determined system admin in the control room, could do this.

We need to remember that this is an exceedingly rare event. Not only you have to be suicidal, but also suicidal and destructive, and crucially, keep practicing unnoticed what is a very difficult and technical job.

Cthippo likes this.
  15. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Rumour has it the co-pilot frequented that very same mountain range when gliding. Maybe he was just looking for some keys he'd dropped or something.

Perhaps he was abused in his youth and never knew how to release that emotion until he went over the edge. If so, would he be a murdering nut or another victim?

16. Nexxo

I'm going with the looking for his dropped keys theory. :p

How does speculation over the 'why' make this any less a terrible, tragic event? It is natural for people to experience a sense of grief and go through the process of wanting to make sense of this, but in the end you can never know the 'truth' and in any case it won't change anything. All you can do is come to a personal appraisal of it that allows you to carry on with your life.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Not to mention a job with a very high level of medical and psychiatric supervision.
    That's the part I don't get...Even if there's just a hint of a tendency Lufthansa wouldn't take him.
    :confused:

Maybe the guy had a stroke and landed his face on the door-lock-knob? (and the decellerator?)

18. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Just dropped in to point out that the forum's index page abbreviates this thread title to "Plane crash co-pilot wanted"....uhh....don't ask me why I clicked it.

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I wondered if it was like the guy that shot John Lennon when he was asked why? he replied I want my name to be remembered though out history, Strange I can't remember his name though.

What ever the reason this guy has to be a fu*king nut job.. well troubled at least

So why did you click it then?

20. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder