1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Samsung 4K 60hz monitor for under £500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 7 Mar 2014.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

2. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Looks nice, however from S korea, so might get hit with import duties etc

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Samsung has this monitor, and I think it's sold in select countries in Europe.
    The monitor is OK. The good news is that it's a high end TN panel. Due to a lack of in depth review of the monitor, it's hard to say, but it looks like the first true 8-bit TN panel with FRC for 10-bit colors (assuming you have the select Quadro or FirePro card that support 10-bit colors, supported software and content). But it's apparently, still not great. IPS panel still beats it.

The monitor is the same as any other 28inch 4K display, You have Lenovo and Dell as well.
    The Dell P2815Q, has more features than the Samsung one, it's non glossy, and adjustable stand. However, it can only do 30Hz in 4K regardless if you use DisplayPort or HDMI. It will switch to 60Hz when you switch to 1080p. So you can see, to keep the price down, they used slower internals that can't deliver 60Hz at 4K.

Personalty I would get the Dell UP2414Q. It's cheaper than 4x 1080p monitor of the same grade, by a nice margin, and you have all the features you expect from a high-end monitor. 60Hz too. If I didn't screw up my math, and if you wonder what it will look like, it will be LIKE looking at the Surface Pro 1 or 2 at 100% DPI.. just put 4 times next to each other... It will be a bit bigger.

So if you have good eyes, great, else than that, you can enjoy 200% DPI and get smother and nicer text and icons, but pretty much only Microsoft software are high-DPI aware. Most software aren't, so beside games which will appear normal (native), the unsupported program will be scaled up like an image, so text will be a bit blurry and icons. That is if you use Windows 8. If you use Windows 7, expect broken layouts in programs, or no scale at all.
    You can compromise at 150% or something as well.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It wont be that long before you can get them over here for £300 :D

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I hope the prices of 4K monitors start to drop soon as they might be worthwhile investing in, but until they are a decent price they are not worth it.

Even when you import one it's still stupidly expensive.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Waiting for the 4K Oculus Rift. :D

7. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

Didn't take long at all, it's £360 on overclockers, pre-black Friday sale, sorely tempted.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I went for the ASUS PB287Q in the end. It has better features.