1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Which office chair?

Discussion in 'General' started by dead beat, 21 Feb 2015.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I'm looking for a chair for my office/gaming room. The thing I'm using currently is a faux leather chair which is the thick padded, bulky variety. I'm really after something that is comfortable for 2-3 hour gaming sessions, but which also works well as a regular office chair for work.

I thought that an obvious choice might be something like a secondhand, refurbished Aeron chair, as my budget wouldn't stretch to the price of a new one. I would be keen to hear other suggestions and peoples experiences though....

Cheers

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Aeron is a good chair, no doubt, but not for everyone. The design has also been advanced upon since its inception, and some of the newer Herman Miller chairs a little more adjustable than the Aeron is. Make sure you are able to try it out before purchase and try not to sit back in it and think "am I comfortable right now", and focus on sitting how you would be actually using it all of the time - i.e. not leaning right back and relaxing, because any chair can be comfortable like that.

Any of the Herman Miller ones would be a solid choice if you're able to try them out, and there's no shortage of refurbed models available (especially for Aeron). I found the Sayl suited me best personally, but Mira and Embody are two totally different chairs again.

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I went along to my local Staples which happens to be quite a large one and tried out a load of charirs until I found the one for me. My budget was only a couple of hundred quid though.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Had an £80 Staples one for 7 years through boarding school, which was fine until it died.

I've got a second hand one of these I use now, and couldn't live without the thing.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

IKEA MARKUS has been really good for me.

For an office chair it has a low profile so it'll fit in tight spaces. The open design makes it cool to sit in and there's also a padded area for the small of your back which is excellent for protracted gaming sessions.

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've got a second hand recovered Steelcase Leap V1 which I got off ebay - absolutely fantastic chair in all respects in my opinion. It gets very good reviews too. I bought mine from these people and they were very good and quick at responding to my queries. If you do go for one then definitely go for one with the sliding seat :)

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

These are fantastic, adjustable in every way imaginable so you kind find your perfect set-up.

8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Thanks guys, that's certainly broadened the horizons a bit. Those Stealcase Leap V1s do look very good. I'll see if I can find somewhere that I can give one a whirl.

9. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I can vouch for the Aeron. We have them at work, and they never cause any discomfort during an 8-10 hour work day. We have some Mirras too, but I don't find the back of those very comfortable.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I did this too. Managed to find a decent knick brown leather one for under £90 (!) and it's excellent.

I think if you want something solid that will last, refurb/second hand professional office chairs are the way to go.