1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Asus Sabertooth X58 SATA 6Gb/s problem boot issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AceForSale, 11 Jul 2012.

1. AceForSale

AceForSale What's a Dremel?

I have a Asus Sabertooth Motherboard, I installed a OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD drive.

I have 2 Western Digital 1TB drives as well.
    I installed Windows 7 64bit onto the SSD, verified my two TB drives were showing up in windows then rebooted and received the following error:

"Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

At this point, on the motherboard I verified the Marvell 91xx Controller was enabled, I have the SSD connected to the Sata 6gb port on my motherboard, I have the cdrom on the other showing 1.5gb.

In the BIOS I went into Storage Configuration and set the SATA to "AHCI"
    At this point I decided to start fresh. I did a quick format on the two TB drives and made sure they were basic partitions. I unplugged them from the computer leaving only the SSD drive and the CDRom on the 6.0GB slots.

I then reinstalled windows (This time set to AHCI), It seemed to work perfect, I ran all my patches and rebooted and it worked great. As soon as I plugged in any of the two TB drives I immediately return with the error:

""Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device""

At this point I believe I found the issue but do not know how to correct it.

When the TB drives are plugged in, in the bios under "Hard Disk Drives" it shows:
    1st Drive: [HDD: P0-WDC WD10EAL] - ((This is my western digital 1tb drive))
    2nd Drive: [HDD: P1-WDC WD10EAL] - ((This is my western digital 1tb drive))
    3rd Drive: [IDE: S1 OXZ-VERTEX4] - ((This is my OCZ Solid State))

Good news it shows all 3 drives,
    Bad news is:

When I go into Boot Device Priority under the Boot menu in the BIOS,
    I only have 5 options:

Remove Dev.
    HDD: P0-WDC WD10EA
    ATAPI CD-ROM
    IDE: S1 TSSTcorp CDDVDDW SH-S223C
    Disabled

This is confusing because its not showing my SSD drive (boot drive), its not showing one of my TB drives and I do not have two CD roms installed so I'm not sure where its getting ATAPI CDROM from. (Thus why I get the Boot Error because my boot device isn't showing up)

Now if I unplug both of the TB drives and come back into the BIOS to Boot Priority I see:
    Remove Dev.
    IDE: S0 OCZ-VERTEX4
    ATAPI CD-ROM
    IDE: S1 TSSTcorp CDDVDDW SH-S223C
    Disabled

The OCZ Solid State drive now shows up and will boot into windows.

In overall the SSD is being recognized by the Marvel Adapter, and when no other drives are plugged in it works like a charm, but as soon as I plug in other hard drives, I don't have the options in the Boot Priority to see my OCZ device. I hit + and - but it does nothing.

Any advise would be much appreciated.
    I have updated the BIOS to the latest version and installed all the update drivers from the ASUS website.

Thank you,
    Dave