1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Almost settling on a new gfx card.... Advice needed though

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by st1x, 12 Aug 2012.

1. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Hi folks.

As the title suggests i have had my eye on...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...800mhz-gddr5-28nm-gpu-1050mhz-dl-dvi-hdmi-mdp

that little number. but having been out of the loop for longer than i want to admit, i have to throw myself on the mercy of the forums and ask for some advice.

I was thinking a 7870 because its in my price range (just over 200 quid) and i remember that frozr did some decent cooling a while back on something or other...

i digress.

is it a good card for the money, has anyone had any problems with it, are there any other deals out there that would be better for the kind of cash that i want to spend..

Would someone also mind getting a tape measure and letting me know how long it is? ive got limited room and my gtx 280 has about 2mm clearance before it hits the hd bays. I dont want to break out the :dremel: but if i have to i will.

Thanks in advance,

Nic

2. Kodongo

Kodongo What's a Dremel?

My first piece of advice would be to sit tight for a week or two because the 660Ti is surely going to force prices down for the 7850, 7870 and 7950 when it is revealed.

If your heart is set on a 7870, I would direct you to the MSi 7870 Hawk from Overclockers. With shipping, it comes in at £239 but it comes with two games and it's a newer iteration of the 7870 with higher stock clocks and better Twin Frozr IV cooling.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if rumour mill is right then GTX 660 pries will be shockingly close to gtx 670 prices....

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

That does not suprise me one bit. Gpu prices are getting rather silly.

The 660ti went on sale for $299 at best buy in america when they jumped the gun recently, so something like £299 over here can be expected.

Its still worth waiting for, just for the price knock on its bound to have.

5. Xahl

Xahl Your mum's a Dremel

Is there any specific reason you want the 7870? There are cheaper cards that will run the most modern games perfectly fine.

6. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Every graphics card thread in the last 2 months looking at this budget has said wait a week or 2 for the 660. It's still not here. :(

7. hoochy

hoochy Need moar cooling

This. I couldn't be bothered waiting any longer to buy mine so I settled on a 7850. To be honest coming from the ancient GPU i was using before I was bound not to be dissapointed, but my expectations have been surpassed with this card due to the ease of overclocking and the outputs/fps I am getting in BF3 etc...

8. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

gtx 660 is next week - but rumour says its not as cheap as we hope

9. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

No real reason to be honest. I know how much ive got to drop on a gfx card and i dont mind paying a little bit more on top of that for a bit extra clock speed and some decent cooling.

£230 is my top limit but if what you say about the 660 bringing down prices i guess i can afford to wait a little bit to see if the price comes down much...it would be nice, but hell i'm not going to wait forever.

Infact, now i come to think about it, i AM going to wait a little bit...instead im going to drop some $ onto a new SSD.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/256g...basic-kit-sata-iii-read-520mb-s-write-400mb-s

seems to be a very good deal at the moment.

Thanks for your input guys, it's always appreciated :)

Nic

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

That's a cracking SSD. :rock:

The 7870 Kodongo suggested looks like a great buy.

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Except we've had it from a Bit-tech staffer that the review is out in 3 days. So, that would infer we are actually v.close to the launch