1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Removable dust filters

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ashchap, 13 Mar 2013.

1. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

My HTPC case is the generally excellent Silverstone GD04. I love everything about it except for one thing:

The dust filters are screwed onto the fans.

So every few months I have to open up the case, unplug the BD drive and hard drives, remove the optical drive and hard drive mounting brackets, unplug and remove all 3 fans from the case, unscrew the dust filters, clean them and then put it all back together again.

The whole process takes about 20 minutes, which is starting to become a bit of a drag so I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy a set of 120mm dust filters that can be cleaned without having to remove the fans from the case?

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Scan have some - a colleague bought some recently. I'll see what they were and let you know, but I'm pretty sure they were these: Link

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I just use cut up bits of tights, held around the fans with an elastic band... seems to do the job perfectly.

4. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I like the look of those but what does the magnet stick to? (I still want them to be inside the case)

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

They'll magentise to the case, or, probably easiest, just go between the case and fan and be anchored by the screw :)

6. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

7. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

8. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

Thanks guys, I might give them a go.