bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 20th Mar 2007, 22:37   #41
TapperSwe
Supermodder

TapperSwe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The UV effects on the brackets do look really nice , this is one of the moust different builds i have ever seen,waiting to see more.

Regards.

Speakers Done:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...129157&page=11

Last edited by TapperSwe; 21st Mar 2007 at 14:07.
TapperSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2007, 19:33   #42
dacust
What's a Dremel?

dacust has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No progress, but parts coming in

Still waiting on parts.

Received:
  • 3/8" hose from Koolance. The hose I had was too bid OD to work with their fittings
  • 2nd HDD cooler
  • 2nd Harcano fan controller (for PC)
  • Mucho wire ties, sleeving, heat shrink, etc.
  • Bunch of UV and blue LEDs

On order:
  • Plexi tube for the reservoir (should be here this week)

Forgot to order:
  • 1/4" tubing for the PC (this won't hold up the project, though)
  • Yellow LED for the operations shack

I've done some more testing on the lighting effects, but nothing worth a photo. I'll be out of town a lot for the next coupla weeks, but hopefully, as sson as the Plexi tube gets here I'll have some time an evening or two to get something done.

My programs don't have bugs, they just develop random features.

WaterPlant worklog - in progress - Bit-Tech article - WaterPlant site - Home Page - PowerPlant PC - Designing
Don't worry about your english. This is an international forum. That's what makes it great. If I don't understand, I'll ask. Just MOD ON!
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2007, 20:17   #43
Rocket733
Austerity - It's the only way

Rocket733 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the industrial feel of this mod so far, looks very unique. So this is a prototype for the final industrial mod? Keep up the good work
Rocket733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2007, 20:21   #44
DarkLord7854
I Mod, Therefore I Own

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Neat idea! Though I don't get why you want to use blue dye as the UV light is already blue-ish, wouldn't you want to see the hoses?

Anyways, eager to see more of this

(I wonder if you can add like.. sparkle or somehing in the water so that you can see things whiz by inside the tubes)
Old 26th Mar 2007, 20:23   #45
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
This project is just an excause for you to keep building with those things, isn't it? It's OK I guess many modders kept building with legos and erectors and what ever building sets for longer than other kids.. I guess?

Nice UV-effects there.
Old 26th Mar 2007, 21:04   #46
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa
This project is just an excause for you to keep building with those things, isn't it? It's OK I guess many modders kept building with legos and erectors and what ever building sets for longer than other kids.. I guess?
Yep. You got me there.

Actually, it just seemed like a good prototyping tool. Then as I got working on it, I liked the results and decided to make it a project of it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
Neat idea! Though I don't get why you want to use blue dye as the UV light is already blue-ish, wouldn't you want to see the hoses?

Anyways, eager to see more of this

(I wonder if you can add like.. sparkle or somehing in the water so that you can see things whiz by inside the tubes)
I think the blue will make the tubes jump out at you. And since the wiring will be red and the data green (only the temp probe wires green in the WaterPlant) blue seemed the right color. But I'll experiment because you may be right. As to the sparkles, I like the idea, but I can't imagine anything that would work that wouldn't create a possible clogging problem. Any ideas out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket733
I like the industrial feel of this mod so far, looks very unique. So this is a prototype for the final industrial mod? Keep up the good work
Thanks. I'm having fun! The only reason the posts have slowed down is due to waiting on supplies. I'm still fired up about it. Should be new things worth photographing in about two weeks (I'll be out of town this weekend).

Again, thanks for the support and suggestions!

WaterPlant worklog - in progress - Bit-Tech article - WaterPlant site - Home Page - PowerPlant PC - Designing
Don't worry about your english. This is an international forum. That's what makes it great. If I don't understand, I'll ask. Just MOD ON!
Old 26th Mar 2007, 21:50   #47
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Yeah it wasn't too hard to guess. I use those sometimes also.. for... prototyping

Looking forward. Atleast it's unique!
Old 26th Mar 2007, 22:16   #48
Skill3d
Multimodder

Skill3d has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks kinda steampunkish... it's very unique
Skill3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2007, 23:08   #49
SlappKnutts
Modder

SlappKnutts has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This project puts a smile on my face! Man I played with an erector set when I was a kid, and it was my dads when he was a kid! Did your sets have any dates that you could see? As they can easily be over 50 years old! And now your putting them to work in a "modern toy"!
Fantastic!
SlappKnutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2007, 23:17   #50
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappKnutts
This project puts a smile on my face! Man I played with an erector set when I was a kid, and it was my dads when he was a kid! Did your sets have any dates that you could see? As they can easily be over 50 years old! And now your putting them to work in a "modern toy"!
Fantastic!
No dates on them, but the one in the wood box is from the 30's. The others range from the 40's through the 60's. Since they are antiques, I'm not cutting or bending any parts. That's the reason some of the structure looks kinda strange or overdone. Only way I could make the parts fit.

I'm having a blast palying with some of my favorite toys. Erector sets and computers. How could it get any better?

And I still have a surprise or two in store....

Old 27th Mar 2007, 19:15   #51
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Scanning back and looking at the photos, I remembered this comment, and it struck me that I see why you said that.

The photos you see are long exposures. In RL the parts don't show up as much and they don't look as blue. The UV blue water should show up very bright in contrast to all the rest. Looking at the UV photos, I can easily see why you would think it would get lost. Interestingly, now that I have the tubing I am actually going to use, it is slightly UV reactive, a pure blue.

But as I said first time I responded to you, once it's done I may re-consider.

Old 27th Mar 2007, 20:00   #52
DarkLord7854
I Mod, Therefore I Own

DarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run CrysisDarkLord7854 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust
Scanning back and looking at the photos, I remembered this comment, and it struck me that I see why you said that.

The photos you see are long exposures. In RL the parts don't show up as much and they don't look as blue. The UV blue water should show up very bright in contrast to all the rest. Looking at the UV photos, I can easily see why you would think it would get lost. Interestingly, now that I have the tubing I am actually going to use, it is slightly UV reactive, a pure blue.

But as I said first time I responded to you, once it's done I may re-consider.
Ah, that's why
Could you snap a pic of what the tubes look like without the long exposure?

Your mod reminds me of those old KNEX (I think that was the name) I used to have, where you could build a buncha stuff from metal parts, it was like legos, but in metal
Old 27th Mar 2007, 20:13   #53
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Could you snap a pic of what the tubes look like without the long exposure?
Sure thing. This evening I'll get a shot where you can see it a little more like it will really look. It'll be greenish/yellow tube instead of blue, but it should give the idea. I'll see how I can get it, not sure my digital can do it (2 stops adjustment?), but I might get it with the 4x5 with polaroid film and scan that in. If not, then on the 35mm, but you'll have to wait for developing...

Old 27th Mar 2007, 20:18   #54
DarkLord7854
I Mod, Therefore I Own

If the digital doesn't work then don't worry, don't go wasting film

Are you using UV cathode(s)? Or bulb(s)?
Old 27th Mar 2007, 21:10   #55
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown
Does that swiftech pump take the same size tubing as the Asetek?
Yes. 3/8". It's a Swiftech MCP350. 92.4 GPH. $80 on this side of the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown
You seem to have a fair mixture of component styles in there. Is that how Erector set components have evolved over time?
Yep. They changed a lot. I have used the girders only from the 1920's and 1930's set (with the triangular holes). The large base plates are from 30's-40's. The red parts with all 4 sides bent up are the newest, from the 60's probably. The red axle supports are from several eras. An ardent Erector afficianado might cringe at the mixture, but if so, they can go back to the Erector forums and complain.

You can see from my sig below how my Asetek experience is going... I figure, every time I talk someone out of buying one, it's worth $1 to me. I've scored 1 so far. And what the heck, we'll count each 1000 views of this log as $1. That's a total of $4 so far. That leaves 186 to go to get my money's worth (pump+LCD). If they give me a replacement, then I can deduct whatever I get for it on eBay.

Old 28th Mar 2007, 02:24   #56
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Answer

Quote:
If the digital doesn't work then don't worry, don't go wasting film

Are you using UV cathode(s)? Or bulb(s)?
Thanks. I had decided it wasn't worth dragging out the equipment anyway. Without water in the tubes it won't really show what we wanted to see anyway.

I'm using UV LEDs. In the tower it'll be two modified sticks running off a controller. For the rest, it'll be individually strategically placed UV LEDs. And probably some blue LEDs under the platform.

Old 28th Mar 2007, 02:46   #57
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Update 2007/03/27 - pump installation & some plumbing

OK, I'm starting stuff now that I can document the actual process a little more. So this update is more pics, less talk.

The pump mount:

2272x1704

Added some self-adhesive foam sound deadening from FrozenCPU

2272x1704

Using layers of the same stuff, built up blocks to hold the pump in place.

2272x1704

You can see the blocks a little better from this angle.

2272x1704

The pump fits in snugly.

2272x1704

So snug I can pick it up by the pump alone.

2272x1704

The the top is put on.

2272x1704

Here you can see how far up the foam comes.

2272x1704

And then it's bolted in place.

2272x1704

I started the plumbing. Before anyone says anything. I KNOW the right angle bends are bad for performance, but for this theme, I thought it was necessary. If it causes too much back-pressure, I'll add another identical pump inside the PC. So there will be about the same number of turns and equipment between each pump.

2272x1704

I can't really do any more until the plexi tube gets here. They tell me it's shipped, so I should be able to start the tower next week.

So anybody got advise on how to rig the plexi tube? Like the best way to install barbs in the side? And how to seal one end and put a filler cap on the other?

My plan is to get some thick plexi and cut a circle the size of the O.D. and rabbit to the I.D. and seal it in with silicone. In the top one, make a hole for a fill port, like maybe the one from Danger Den.

The barbs I'm less clear on. I can do the hole and take the elbows I have, cut it down and silicone it in place, but that won't hold up when putting the tubing on. Seems like I need something that screws into a backing ring. But if it's made for a flat surface, the 1" I.D. tube will cause a problem.

Last edited by dacust; 18th May 2007 at 23:28.
Old 28th Mar 2007, 10:15   #58
TapperSwe
Supermodder

TapperSwe has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The pump houseing/case looks neat.
Regarding watercooling i cant help u cuz i know so litle about it.

Speakers Done:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthrea...129157&page=11
TapperSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2007, 14:06   #59
jokkos
too busy to mod *sigh*

jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.jokkos is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
good solution for the pump.

With respect to the watercooling, you should be fine with those 90. It will give a lower flow rate, but that's not a big problem.
Old 30th Mar 2007, 05:07   #60
dacust
What's a Dremel?

Update 29/03/2007 - Plumbing and plexi - w/pics

I got the plexi tubing today. It's going to work great, but the light sticks I have will not fit in like they are. I'll have to remove the lights from the plastic tube they are in, insulate the back and then they'll fit. I also played around with some ideas for running the wires to the lights, but nothing to show for it. All I have to show new is where I neatened up some of the plumbing and took some shots from a better vantage point.

Here's a close-up of the finished part of the plumbing.

2272x1704

A UV shot where you can see the internal structure a little better.

2272x1704

This is a little closer to what it looks like in RL. As I mentioned before, the tubing is slightly UV reactive. When the blue UV dyed water is in there, I think it will really pop out. Also, there will be several of the orange lines running around as well as one set of green.

2272x1704

It'll probably be next weekend before I get working on this again. Then it'll be time to build the reservoir. After that the rest of the plumbing will be quick. Last big job will be the wiring.

Last edited by dacust; 18th May 2007 at 23:29.

Tags
scratch build

View Mode