1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PWM pump control (Prefer not to use mobo)

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by stealth80, 10 Mar 2015.

1. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Hi,

I've been doing a project for around 5 or 6 weeks now (see sig) which is using 2x Ek DDC PWM pump/res combos

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs...ek-ddc/ek-xres-140-ddc-3-2-pwm-incl-pump.html

One loop is for the cpu/motherboard chipset and the other is for the GPU.

I bought the bitfenix recon as it was pretty much the only white fan controller available. My plan was to use channel 1 (via a powered pwm hub) to power the 5 fans for cpu loop, channel 2 (again via powered pwm hub) to control the 3 fans of the gpu loop, leaving 4 to control the CPU loop pump and 5 (still with me?) to control the GPU loop.

However it's just rubbish lol. I have no control over the pwm hubs and no control over the PWM pumps, they just run at full speed.

I was under the impression I would be able to control pump speed using this controller, does anyone have any insight or suggestions which may help?

thanks

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

If the EK pumps are similar to the Swiftech 350X then they don't have a standard implementation of PWM and have a limited range for control, instead of a 0-100% range they will have something like 15-50%.

Most motherboards will allow control but fan controllers may be a problem particulalry if the fan controllers also use a non-standard PWM implementation. The Aqua Computer Aquaero's should work albeit at a significant cost.

Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use the motherboard and GPU to control the pumps with either the supplied software or Speedfan in the case of the Mobo or Afterburner for the GPU?

3. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

purely cosmetic, I'm trying to reduce the about of cables going to the motherboard

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd suggest getting in touch with Bitfenix, if there's a problem controlling PWM pumps then they must have already been asked about it.

5. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

Ye i thought I would have to, but seems it something to do PWM and how different companies interpret their own designs, makes them all work with 4 pin pwm, but the 3 pin of the recon aint compatible with the 2 pin of the ek pump so i'm told ...