Development RFID Logging?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Springs, 16 Oct 2015.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

Hi all,

i help run an events company with some friends and want to be able to get people logged in quickly so we can start quicker.

if everyone had an RFID tag / card they could just scan in and pay etc.

does anyone have any information on how i could log the RFID tags either into something basic like a spreadsheet or input them into something a bit different like a database?

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'd imagine that you could get something off the shelf to do this. How many people are you talking about? How many entry points, whats your budget. How will you distribute the RFID tag to attendees?

3. Springs

Springs Boing boing

our biggest events that we've done so far is about 100 - 120 people but about 200 registered people all together.

depending on whats out there will depend on the budget. haven't got mega amounts of money to spend. if there is something out there that can do the job then i'll take a look

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

From my own experience with industrial grade barcode and data matrix scanners you will have either a serial or usb interface. The USB ones will typically act as a usb keyboard and they will "press" virtual keys that represent the code scanned by the device into the computer you have it plugged into. So its basically like someone typing the code really fast. The serial ones will just send a byte stream that the software on the receiving end can read on the serial com port.

You will also get what is called wedge software, this acts as an intermediary between the device and some application. Wedge software has various functionality and it varies depending on who made it.

With a usb virtual keyboard input you could probably put together an excel sheet with a macro to record inputs from the reader. That would probably be the most feasible approach for someone that can do much software development and can't find anything off the shelf cheap enough to do what they need.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2015