1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development How to Learn C++ and Python

Discussion in 'Software' started by shah, 9 May 2016.

1. shah

shah Minimodder

Hello All,

Just wanted to ask if anyone know C++ and Python. Please recommend good books and courses I could do to learn these? How long will it take to learn them?

Thanks,
    Shah.

Last edited: 9 May 2016
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What's your starting point? Have you ever done any programming before?

It's been a while since I first learnt C++ (25 years...:eeek:), so I'm out of touch with any learn C++ books, but for Python I've heard good things said about Learn Python the Hard Way - it's free online. Other than that, Google is your friend. I'm sure there are loads of free guides and resources out there.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

How interesting! I was looking at Python training last night, as I would like to get a Raspberry Pi or GPIO PC interface for hardware experiments.
    I also found 'Learning Python the Hard Way' and thought it looked a good resource.

4. shah

shah Minimodder

Well I can do a bit a VBA but nothing more. So my starting point is of a beginner. I have searched the internet but wanted some informed opinion about which books/courses are good to get etc.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I found C++ primer plus to be a decent book.

Lynda.com have a full set of learning paths on python and C++. But it's paid.

The one thing I find with video tutorials and the like is that it's difficult to find someone who has put together a complete set.

6. shah

shah Minimodder

Thanks guys. Starting with Learn Python the Hard way. Will Check out C++ primer plus and Lynda.com looks interesting.

Any recommendation of Classroom type courses?

7. theshadow2001

It would difficult to find classroom courses outside of a university and if you do they will be expensive. But it's no harm to check if a nearby college / uni is running them. Maybe you could enroll In a module. You could also check MIT open courseware

8. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Code Academy has Python tutorials however they where bit buggy from memory. That might of changed now.

edx offers free uni courses (introduction to computer science using Python).

I would also try project Euler problems. Try to solve some problems using both languages, even if it means looking at other solutions and working out how and why they work. Reading code and eventually refactoring and editing code is very important as it shows you different ways of thinking. Over time try the problems again using different methods or styles.

I also have microsoft's Text book for software development fundamentals (PM for a copy). While not C++, It will walk you through the basics of programming using C#, another .net language which sits well between C and Java. Getting microsoft certified is a good start to any career and the direction apprenticeships and Higher education is taking people before they decide to go to university. Some places will hire you with a few MTA's and a strong interview on a placement contract usually with the prevision you go to university part time while working.

Overall I wouldn't worry too much about the language, just pick one and learn techniques and styles of programming. Eventually you can learn other languages which at the end of the day are just tools for completing tasks.

Last edited: 9 May 2016
  9. theshadow2001

I wouldn't say C# sits between C and Java. Rather C# is Microsoft's equivalent of Java. But that's neither here nor there as the OP asked about C++

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Maybe at one point but its was really an attempt to bring C developers and Visual Basic developers under one roof. Part of that was working hard to make the syntax and feel of the language very close to C. If anything C# is the evolution of the C language to address developer and market needs.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

12. shah

shah Minimodder

I will check their open courseware.

edx looks interesting and so is Cod Academy. I will look into project Euler.

This is great thanks for the tip.

Thank you guys. The aim is to learn C++ and Python so I could use these in developing different programs for complex calculations and some AI project. I am already employed so could ask my employer to pay for the courses etc.

I have started learning python using learn python the hard way. I probably will be able to finish the exercises in a couple of weeks. I am also reading a book on C++ written by DS Malik and using an app on phone (Learn C++ by SoloLearn).