1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other SMS over IP

Discussion in 'General' started by Cthippo, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've got very marginal cell coverage where I live, but excellent WiFi. Most of my phone's functions default to the WiFi, but SMS (and voice but who used that) do not. Is there an app that bridges between the SMS system of my phone and the WiFi connection so that I can reliably get SMS when i'm at home?

Phone is a Samsung S4 running over AT&T GSM

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

SMS is a cell service feature, so it is up to your provider if they provide an alternative interface; most likely not. So no, there is no solution for what you ask.

Your only real alternative is to use some service like Google Voice and ask friends to send SMS to your Google Voice number ? Then you can set up google voice to deliver you all SMS in an email for example : https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115116?hl=en

3. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Some of the cell providers in the UK offer apps that allow use of cellular service over WiFi. For example O2 have TuGo which you can text and make calls through the WiFi just like you would over cell. Don't know if AT&T offer a similar app in the US?

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Providers here have a web account associated with your phone account. You can log in to that account and send usually something in the region of 300 texts a month online for free. One provider I was with allowed multiple phone numbers to be added to the text.

On occasion as a prank, I would use that service to rapidly send a huge amount of the same message to the same number in a short space of time, which the network couldn't really handle. The person's phone would just be going off constantly for ages, their SMS inbox would fill up and as they deleted the messages more would arrive.

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Looks like the microcell is... OK not exactly what I need, but pretty close. Thanks play_boy and everyone else.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

...whatsapp?