1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards MOBO Bent pins, need repair shop, Central Scotland.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by adzc1987, 5 Feb 2017.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hello, I recently got a new MOBO/CPU/RAM, however it became apparent that 2 of the RAM slots on the MOBO would not work (the onboard LED indicated RAM fault and would not boot) but the other 2 do work (so not the RAM).

In the process of arranging the RMA I have managed to bend some of the CPU Socket pins. Because of this the retailer will not accept the return.

I am not confident in attempting to repair this myself so wondered if any one in Central Scotland has experience of a computer repair that may be able to fix?

I dont mind the 2 RAM being broken as everything else still worked (i have 2x8GB sticks atm) but I would like to get the socket repaired so I dont need to fork out for another MOBO.

Does anyone have any experience of someone who could help in central Scotland?

Cheers

2. GorgTech

GorgTech What's a Dremel?

You received a Mainboard which was DOA (=Dead on Arrival)?

Ok, could you post a picture of the damaged socket? It´s not that hard to fix a few pins if you have a magnifier glass and a needle...and some patience.

Here´s a How2: click here

Are you sure that the CPU socket was OK before and the pins were not bent before?

You could also contact the manufacturer and ask if you could still send the Mainboard in and get another one?

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm not in central Scotland but I do have a couple of questions.

1) how on earth did you manage to bend the pins? (How does anyone manage to bend pins? I've had probably 20+ Intel motherboards, changed CPUs a billion times with benching/testing different CPUs, and I've never ever damaged a CPU socket.)

With that out of the way, are you able to take photos of the socket so we can see where the bent pins are and how badly they are bent? Repairing bent pins is tricky because the metal fatigues very easily and can break off if you use too much force.

I can't comment on whether a shop would do it for you, but with liability etc. I don't expect them to jump at the chance.

4. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I think the damage occurred as I was putting the cap back on to send it back to the retailer but I really don't know for sure. I was not sure exactly how the cap was supposed to go back on as I have never had to put one back on before.

The retailer is stating it would not have gone beyond quality control with the pics I sent so are denying any responsibility.

@Gorgtech, I am not very steady handed and im worried about breaking pins :S thats why I wanted someone else to do it.

Ill get the photos up when I am home later.

Ive built plenty of comps in the past so trust me im pretty pissed at myself, this is the first time I have ever cocked it up.

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Admittedly, when I was putting my X99 system together yesterday, I kinda shat myself when installing the CPU. All those pins just waiting to be bent, and I've got a perfect track record :lol:

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I have only ever done it once. I was breaking down an Alienware and wanted the CPU out of it to put in a different PC (I7 950). Any way, I tucked the 8 pin EPS out of the way, removed the cooler and so on. As I was removing the board itself the 8 pin dislodged and came down and twatted the socket. It hit pretty hard and bent about 4 pins. Sadly one of those pins actually snapped and was vital to the rig working (VDDC). It would boot, but would not go into bios and would just continually loop.

I also had a Foxconn Bloodrage GTI that came with bent pins. It used to report incorrect ram values etc. Basically in bios it would say 6gb but when you went into Windows it said 4gb. Common problem with X58 and bent pins. So in the end I decided to stop being a flange and got out the wooden cocktail sticks and bent them back into position. Worked perfectly and all ram was visible.

But yeah, that's it.

7. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Hmm a bit more googling seems to suggest the RAM issue may be due to the bent pins, meaning I bent them during installation. Well the good news on that is it means if I get them straightened I should be ok.......hopefully.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yes it should so long as you didn't cause any damage to the board by shorting them. In my case putting them back where they belonged was all they needed for all of my ram to work.

It's very common sadly due to the pretty tragic design.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

10. GorgTech

GorgTech What's a Dremel?

Well, it´s quite hard to see anything, except for the middle picture. I spot some bent pins but I think that this issue can be fixed. You have nothing to lose, just have a look at the How2 and drink a beer first ;)

11. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Ill try get some closer pics, problem is the phone camera does not have a macro mode and i stuggle to get it to focus.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

After debating this on and off, I think i will see if someone wants to buy the board on the cheap to someone who may want to attempt a salvage. I really do not fancy frying a i7 7700K if i get it wrong.....

It was a ASUS Strix Z270H

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Buy a cheap Celeron to try it out. Otherwise, just get rid for as much as you can. If I were still in the UK, I'd have offered like mentioned above. I get the feeling that shipment to the USA and back wouldn't be economically viable. :(