1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fantasy Lottery thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Weekly_Estimate, 30 Mar 2017.

1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Okay, Simple idea we pick 6 fantasy lottery numbers for the national lottery’s Wednesday and Saturday draws… between 1 - 49 and we see if anyone hits the jackpot.

Obviously you don’t receive anything from it… but if you’re numbers come in you’ll be left wondering “what if i bought a real ticket” for the rest of time.

Only 1 entry per user applies and numbers reset after each draw...

I'll start... (3) (9) (24) (26) (29) (49)

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Nah!, I would have to kill myself if my fantasy numbers came up. What would be more fun is to ask what would you do if you won the Jackpot!

For me? Booze, yachts, women and drugs*. The rest I would waste :D

*I wouldn't really do drugs :hehe:

3. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Yeah this is dangerous... It'll turn into the ultimate demote thread if someone calls it but doesn't have a ticket.

If I won a good 10-12m? A third would go to various charities, a third would go into investments to earn me a decent wage for the rest of my years and a third would go on paying off friends and family members debts/mortgages etc and getting me and the missus set up.

Honestly, I struggled to spend my Christmas bonus this year, i'd have to give away huge amounts otherwise it'll sit there being wasted...

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Don't the lottery number go into the 50's now?

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A former colleague used to buy the same numbers in every draw, and hit a bunch of them a few years ago - like five plus a bonus ball or something like that, where the expectation would be at least a hundred grand.

For whatever reason, a combination of the available jackpot and how many people also hit the numbers, he got £2200. Much chortles were had.

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Me exactly!
    Same with the lotto syndicate at work, I'd cry if they won and I wasn't in it.

But if I did win, I'd see all my family sorted and help as many friends as I can as many have helped me through life.

The rest I'd buy a garbage business and let my dad run it and help him build a mini as I never got to do that growing up away from him.

A good chunk would be put aside for me and the Mrs to help the homeless as much as we could, we'd struggle to sleep comfortably knowing we had so much as some people would be happy with what we'd call spare change after a lotto win.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Shnap

Though I do a syndicate at work which comprises of pretty much our entire team. Numbers come up we all leave :D

But yeah would be the ultimate kick in the teeth for them to come up on here an not a real ticket.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My picks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

What? They have exactly the same chance of showing up as any other combination of numbers.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

At one point during my school days when I was working in a local shop at the weekends, a woman asked me to pick her lottery numbers, I picked just that and an argument (mild disagreement really) ensued because surely they were never going to come up... sigh.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I think I remember my dad telling me one of his work colleagues checks the results for weeks they hadn't bought their usual ticket. I'd top myself if I knew I'd missed out on millions of pounds. I'll stick with my usual depression thank you very much. Ignorance is bliss.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

That's amazing, I've got the same combination on my luggage!

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I knew it, I'm surrounded by Assholes!

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Twenty or so years ago when I was working at an electronics manufacturing firm, there was a big multiple roll-over on the lottery and it was decided we should all do it and everyone was asked for a pound and their numbers. I was scorned for choosing 1,2,3,4,5,6 but, my line was the only which generated any return, just a tenner! Naturally I was smug. :D

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Picking 1,2,3,4,5,6 is actually a bad plan.

Purely statistically regarding you vs the draw it makes as much sense as any other set but in the national lottery the prizes are split according to the number of winners. A disproportionate number of the millions that play pick 1,2,3,4,5,6 for the same reasons you did meaning far more pick them than most other more random sets.

This means (even though it's not very intuitive) picking 1,2,3,4,5,6 will actually substantially reduce your average return and thus effectively your odds.

I quite want to see 1,2,3,4,5,6 come up just for the look on the faces of the 100 or so smart arses who picked it when they find out they have to split the jackpot between them :D

Last edited: 30 Mar 2017
  16. Gareth Halfacree

If we're talking statistically, then playing the Lottery at all is a bad plan. You've a one in fourteen million chance of winning the jackpot, regardless of the numbers you pick.

Me? I'll carry on 'winning' a pound a week - or is it two, now? - by not playing. (That's £1,196 since the National Lottery launched in 1994, assuming I'd have bought a ticket for £1 once every week; increase that to about £2,000 if I bought tickets for the Wednesday draws as well.)

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Decent house with an equal sized 'man shed', complete with modding workshop, lan room, cinema, bar, golf sim. A whole bunch of cars, F40, classic Portchester (or the new yellow bird ruf just released), Zonda f and a hot hatch for the daily. Family would obviously all get a peice, but for the younger ones there'd be stipulations, like not getting it till your 25/30. Hold on, don't think I checked my numbers from Tuesday.....

I won £2.50. I'll get a breakfast on the way in to work tomorrow I think. Really push the boat out.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2017
  18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

[​IMG]

I think playing the lottery (or making any bet where I'm demonstrably more likely lose than win) is a bad plan. I've never played myself.

However, the premise was buying a ticket and the point was presumably to show how pointless playing by being a smartass and picking 1,2,3,4,5,6 to rub it in someone's face how unlikely it is that you will win.

My point is that picking 1,2,3,4,5,6 isn't very clever because (I assume) through missing a nuance in now the lottery works you are taking an compound dump on your already **** odds, so the person doing a lucky dip is actually better off.

Big prize lotteries are actually quite interesting. The largely unattainable nature of the the top prize muddies the water somewhat regarding whether one considers entry worth it. While purely statistically it might not sense this assumes the £1 is worth 1/1,000,000 of a £1M, which is a somewhat simplistic.

On a different note I recall there have been a few big rollover weeks were odds were actually in the players favour regarding average return. Also similarly I think I worked out that on some weeks you could almost guarantee a profit. All you had to do was have sufficient time and capital to buy every possible combination thus ensuring an high portion of the prize fund that was bolstered by a rollover from the week before. Basically taking this approach:
    [​IMG]
    :)

Last edited: 31 Mar 2017
  19. Gareth Halfacree

I AM THE LAWUH!

That film gets dumped on from a very great height, but I loved it. Sure, he takes the helmet off in the first fifteen seconds of screen time and then spends more time with it off than on - but how good was Rico? The ABC Warrior? Frickin' Mean Machine Angel? "I'm goin' up ta four on you, laaaawwwmaaaaan!"

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned