1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Death of White Mouse

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Dr. Coin, 13 Dec 2016.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

This fall my primary computer, White Mouse, died. The short of it is that I had a leak in the water loop. The leak dripped on to a RAM slot which lead to an electrical short and small fire. I tracked the leak to my southbridge cooler. A series of small cracks radiating out from a fitting allowed the coolant to leak out and then drip onto my RAM. This is a custom top on a Danger Den MPC-Universal Chipset Block. The top was made from 4.78 mm polycarbonate plastic. I am guessing but I think it might be from over tightening the fitting. Anyone else wish to guess what happened, I will want to avoid this mistake again.
    [​IMG]

I was reasonably certain the motherboard was as lost cause when I started to remove parts and saw the damage. Plus the module from the damaged slot, with heat spreader removed. Amazingly, it appears that the other modules are still good. Any one want DDR2 RAM?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I removed the motherboard I found even more damage behind it.
    [​IMG]

And the paint on the motherboard tray was slightly burnt with impressive smoke damage. I wish I had a better camera to capture this detail, the picture don’t show the half of it.
    [​IMG]

A said loss but given that the case mod is 10 years old (and not done, just one of those forever evolving projects) and the core hardware was eight plus years old it has severed me well. Other than the one RAM module and motherboard all other components appear to work. I had considered replacing the motherboard but when I check, websites/people are asking as much if not more than original retail price the motherboard or similar models :sigh: