1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Question about PSU Wiring

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sparrowhawk, 10 Oct 2009.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

So I'm making my own modular system for my (non modular) PSU. In wiring, is there any reason why in the modular breakout box that the two molex ground wires need to be wired separate?

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm gonna work on a couple PSUs today and check to see if it's multiple grounds or a single ground used twice.

john

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

In the case of a PC PSU the grounds are all connected, if you were to open up the PSU you would find that all the ground wires come from the same place.

It is important however that you provide enough current capacity in your ground connections (connectors and wiring) for the sum of the supply currents; For example if your molex connector can provide 5 amps on the 12v line and 3 amps on the 5v line you would need to provide for 8 amps through the ground. This is the reason why molex connectors have two ground wires.

Moriquendi

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I did a 100W and a 350W today and they are both one ground plane. All the blacks go to the same ground point. Might have multiple solder points but one ground on the circuit board. I don't know about larger PSUs

Must be the current limits of the wire as suggested.

john