1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It's something I've wanted to do for ages, and after a steady diet of Overhaulin and A Car / E-type / Bike / Chopper / Plane is born, I think it's time I started thinking a bit more seriously about it.

After looking on the net, I think I've come down to two options:

A Chesil Speedster:

[​IMG]

OR

A Marlin Racing Sportster:

[​IMG]

I like the look of the Speedster, but it's a Beetle underneath the nice body. The sportster on the other hand, looks similar to other cars of the 'type' (Caterham, Whestfield, Robin Hood etc), but has a nice 1930's sort of feel and seems to be cheaper - plus it has bomb proof 3 series Beemer underpinnings.

So, what do you think - classic Porsche look-a-like, or two seat open wheel BMW?

Also, has anyone built a kit car before? What advice can you give me?

Last edited: 8 May 2013
    dark_avenger likes this.
  2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

So i'm not alone in watching those proggies too? Damn they're good :p
    I actually like both, the open wheel is a bit too common though for me, so i'd go for the Speedster, because it looks so nice. ;)

EDIT: Although the Speedster looks nice, I think the Open Wheel would be so much more fun, and so, go for that ;) deffo.

EDIT 2: I'm drooling at the Open Wheeler now, put a V6 in it, or a straight six!
    It looks SO nice, something I may even have to put in the back of my head to consider in 5-6 years ;)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2005
  3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Build the Sportster, it'll be a more fun result when you've finished, and it'll be easier to build if it's an open-top affair with a simple body. (Caterhams/Whestfields etc are common kit-cars for a reason.)

:D

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Definitely the Sportster - I much prefer the Caterham-style body shape (but then I spend a lot of time at Brands, and love watching the Caterham 7's bombing around the track :) )
    The Chesil body design doesn't do anything for me...

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

despite the fact that the first is a lookalike of one of the sexiest cars to ever be built imo, i think i'd still go for option B for the fun factor

6. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

Id say the Sportster too :) Thats the kind of car i want to build once I graduate, except I want to go the Locost route and do it from scratch :thumb:
    The NG-TC has a similar look to the Sportster, not sure what donor it uses or how it compares price wise though.
    Just need to drop an 'M' engine in there too... ;)

7. GreatOldOne

I have to say I'm more and more inclined to do the sportster, especially after seeing how much an E30 3 Series goes for.

Depending on purchase orders being signed off by the boss (Mrs GOO), It'd probably be an M under the hood for fun, frolics and imminent disaster. ;)

8. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

That Sportster is just sexy! I love the look of old roadster cars despite what continent they were made on.

9. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

The marlin all the way. But what engine thats the question?

10. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I'd go for the latter. Definitely more of a weekend/fun car.

11. Hammy

Hammy What's a Dremel?

Defo go for the Speedster would be great for track days too :)

12. GreatOldOne

To keep it simple (and costs down), the engine that comes in the donor car - so most likely a 2.5 litre Beemer straight six. If I can get hold of an M series car, all the better.

However... If (there's a lot of ifs in this embryonic project ;)) I could swing it, I'd love a V8 in it. Not for the added grunt, just for the noise... :cooldude:

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Out of those 2 I'd certainly choose the Sportster. It certainly seems to be the more fun of 2 options. Good luck with building it. I couldn't see it being any harder than doing repairs to an existing car. In fact it would be easier as you get to work on any given part without extra stuff in front - if you get what I mean.

Personally, I'd love to build a GT40 . Kits to whatever stage you want are available here (Australian company but one of the best in the world apparently).

EDIT: The right cam/exhaust combo can give some downright lumpy sounding grumbles. The straight 6 I had before my current one dead set sounded like an 8. Loud and proud:D

Last edited: 9 Sep 2005
  14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It has to be the Speedster without any doubt at all.
    I would agree with the Sportster if you plan on doing track days every weekend, but not for the road.
    The Sportser just conjures up images of a flat cap and pipe.

The Speedster looks sooooo cool, and even though the Sportster is by far the better car I still say the Speedster.

I

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So when you start, will you be keeping a project log here?
    :rock:

16. GreatOldOne

Maybe. Like I said, there's an awful lot of if's involved... I've yet to get the missus on side...

And looking at my garage (single, integral afair), I don't think I'm going to have enough room to build it there - so I'll need to find a nice big space to work in.

Then there's the money - I've got to work out the finances first before I do anything.

It's all a matter of time - I will be doing this. Just wether I manage to get on with it before I'm 40, I dunno.

And the decision has been made - it will be a Sportster. Metalic black for preference, with a set of wire wheels, and a nice creme leather and chrome interior. Ok, it's not quite the same, but you get the idea from this lovely 1930's Aston Martin Ulster:

[​IMG]

17. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Open wheelers are very fun to build, I got one for my 14th birthday (a Westfield) and me and my dad are building it together.

Edit: Are you going to be building it as a whole kit, or using a donor car?
    When you pick up the parts and everything, make sure all the piecs are there, sounds stupid, but weve had some problems with ours.

Wouldn't hurt to have a big box of spare nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

Last edited: 10 Sep 2005
  18. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Deffo the sportster, one of the guys on another forum I frequent is building one, and is logging his build on a site -

www.msportster.co.uk

19. GreatOldOne

Yeah - I checked that site out - it's linked from the marlin website. Looks as if he's doing a good job.

He didn't seem to rebuild the engine though. Looks as if he just hoiked it out of the beemer, gave it a clean and a new swanky paint job and that was that.

20. dom_

dom_ --->

save up and get the lovely new cosworth caterham.

dont have a test drive though because you would happily sell your mum to slavery to afford it