1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel puts Sandy Bridge parts out to pasture

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Last edited: 26 Sep 2012
  2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd say they probably discontinued the 3450 on the fact that it's not necessarily needed. Judging by the SKUs the 3450 sits right by the 3470 but is hardly any cheaper and the new 3350 basically is the same chip bar a small decrease in turbo frequency. I guess you could say they're just cutting back on the SKU confusion although to me it's still a tad baffling to see that many SKUs of the same damn chip.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

And you didn't even considered Xeon E3's there, which are the same thing again, just with a minor differences.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

They could at least add support of 1.35V DDR3 to Ivy Bridge. This is supported by SB :wallbash:.

What's the point of reducing the power consumption of the CPU if they do not support low voltage RAM module (which were supported by the previous gen) ?

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Still not moving to Ivy Bridge due to the heat issues, and the fact I am happy with my 2700k but if that was to fall over I would just replace it with another sandy bridge based chip, or save the extra cash up and go sandy bridge e.

Sandy bridge was always going to be discontinued and I thought it would have been sooner than now though.

6. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

My 370k runs quite happily with my 1.35v memory, set it in the bios and no issues?

7. GuilleAcoustic

I've read somewhere that it can't run @1.35V with desktop IB (but can be run @1.5V)

8. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

Well I'm glad I've already got my paws on the i5 3450S I wanted but I did spend a good while looking at the range trying to understand what was going on with the position of the vanilla 3450.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

just because a chip does not support something on a box does not mean it wont work. Ivy bridge happily accepts 1.35v on memory if you can find the relivent chips. Officially remember the intel cpus do not support ram above 1600mhz that does not stop us running 2100 + in them.

10. GuilleAcoustic

Just want to be sure, because some say "yes it works", others say "yes it works, but @1.5V" while the last ones say "no it doesn't".

I sent an email to Intel to have a fix and 100% safe answer. I'm building a low power ITX professionnal rig and don't want to buy 1.35V ram to have it running @ 1.5V.

11. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I am happily running 1.25v memory with my 3570 and it is running at 1.25v and the spec'd 1600mhz and 9-9-9-25 timing.

The processor/memory controller has no issue running lower voltage memory.

Heck my laptop with an i3517u is running its memory at 1.28v (it is 1.35v memory, but for some reason the BIOS is volting it even lower, and it is running just fine also at 1600mhz and 9-9-9-27).

12. GuilleAcoustic

Glad to read that :D. Still the internal core temp issue, but bet there will be not much diff between i3-2120T and i3-3220T.

13. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

Core i5-3450 discontinued i think cos there is some problem or patent issue with it and rather than have a recall stop selling it. i think cover-up. for microsoft, i dont think thats a wild theory at all.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

What does Microsoft has to do with this topic ? Problem ? Patent issue ? :rolleyes:

The only issue i5-3450 has that it has the same price as i5-3470, which is 100Mhz higher, so it is not selling well. Also, if you would have bothered reading the article, you would have noticed the "All models will continue to be purchasable until the end of March 2013" line.

15. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've just built my wife a new machine with the 3330 on a Z77 board and it's running fine at 1600mhz 1T at 1.35v.

On topic, I am surprised it's taken so long for this announcement. I think it more to do with them having had very large stocks of them, rather than they have just stopped making them. I would be amazed to think that they have still be making them when ivy bridge has been around for so long.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

So basically they're going to re-flash that ivy bridge one. Streamlining SKUs isn't too bad.

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Not very surprising, glad I got my i5-2500k when I did, it's a great CPU. :)

18. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

"some problem or patent issue"; "cover-up"; "microsoft"? This sounds like crazy person speak from someone living in a basement full of canned goods and wearing a tinfoil hat, but thanks for taking part. If you know of a specific flaw in the CPU, or a specific legal issue with it, please enlighten us.

19. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

This is likely right - they've realised they have fragmented too far, and will speed bin the chips destined to end up as 3450s between 3470 for the chips capable of reliably handling the fastest speeds and 3350 for the less capable ones.

20. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Dude, can you recommend a good source for tinfoil? The cheap stuff from the grocery store makes terrible hats.

On topic, I've been wondering lately why I still see so many computer ads for boxes with SB processors. I assumed they had been discontinued a while ago and it was just the OEMs selling through existing stock. Or that Intel dumped a load of them cheap and Dell and the like snapped them up to shove them in lower-end machines.