1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU HELP! Thermal compound in CPU socket and on pins

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PortalBen, 22 Aug 2014.

1. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

So I had to take my CPU cooler off while building my computer to reposition it and I got some thermal compound in a few of the holes in the socket and a small amount on a few of the pins. Is this a problem? If so, how do I fix it?

The compound is Cooler Master.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: 22 Aug 2014
  2. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

Not sure if this is in the right place, if not, please let me know where to move it to.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've only ever done something like that on the Intel LGA sockets but have washed it off very carefully with Isopropyl Alcohol and a fine artist type paintbrush.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

My first thought would be an alcohol wash.

ISO-PROPYL-ALCOHOL will clean off the muck. With any luck none of the compound has become lodged in the socket itself otherwise that's going to be tough to remove. If you have a bright torch to hand be sure to check the CPU socket after cleaning to ensure no residue is left behind!

5. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

I don't own any isopropyl alcohol, will it be too late by tomorrow when it's dry?

And does this mean it's definitely ruined?

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

For convenience I buy mine from ebay! It's not that hard to find anyway! :thumb:

Not necessarily ruined, just need to spend a little money on cleaning apparatus to reverse the mess.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

8. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'd dip the pin side of the CPU in a shallow tub of isopropyl alcohol and hope that's enough for the compound to detach and wash off. You don't want to make physical contact and damage the pins after all! The CPU socket is a little trickier. Recommend using a cotton bud dipped in isopropyl alcohol to rub away the worst of it then check to see if any dropped into the socket itself. If some did then you might need to go further and squirt a little isopropyl alcohol into the socket itself and wash out the remaining compound (only with isopropyl alcohol though!).

After cleaning leave the components to thoroughly dry out before installing the components.

10. PortalBen

PortalBen Minimodder

Well I've given that a go and can't get any more off, will let it dry out and then try put together in the morning. Thanks for all of your help and advice, I'll post with success or failure tomorrow.